live vocal overdrive

dr.colossus

well it looks like I'm about to embark on the egomaniacal journey that is being a front man. While I'm not huge on lots of reverb and delay (a little bit of plate would be fine), I do have the occasional need for a distorted vocal. In the studio we had really good success with a boss bass overdrive into a di. Now this is all well and good because I had other tracks to completely change signal path for the clean bits.... What would be ideal is a balanced boss bass overdrive with true bypass, but I dont think they exist ;).

Is there a balanced OD pedal designed for vocal?

Any schematics for converting a guitar OD pedal to balanced and correct input impedience for a godd old sm57?

Just get 1/4" to XLR plug transformers. They are <$15, you'll need the appropriate male-female/male-male for each side of the pedal. I would post links, but I invariably mislabel XLR connectors. You can get all you want at Radio Shack.

Well if you have 800 bucks to drop take a look at tc helicon's voicelive. Its a footswitch processor that can do all kinds of vox effects and its intended for live use. Or if you don't really care about build quality of sound the Vx400 by digitech may do want you're looking for, its only 250 bucks.

ermghoti said:
Just get 1/4" to XLR plug transformers. They are <$15, you'll need the appropriate male-female/male-male for each side of the pedal. I would post links, but I invariably mislabel XLR connectors. You can get all you want at Radio Shack.

Yeah, I've considered this, but it wouldn't be a balanced signal going into a multicore which can have anywhere from twenty or thirty meters to travel. Some people really get shitty when sending an unbalanced signal 1 meter. Then there would be impedience matching issues at the other end so i'd need a DI box, which would not be too friendly to the clean sound. The only option I can think of is running a balalnced A/B Box with one side clean and the other with the O/D-di combiniation.

jonnyc, I've thought about one of those units as well, but I've not seen a singer pull off using those without anoying the audience with all sorts of crap that they think sounds good. Thats a lot of money for a little bit of overdirve :D

Back