LIVE track

Riku

Hi from Finland

It has been a while since I have posted anything on this bbs. But here is one Live track called "Sign" recorded few weeks ago. The show was recorded with a MD and a pair of AKG mics. After that I ran it through my Mia and did some volume boosting in cakewalk. My friend eq'ed it a bit (little cut on mid section...) There is some background hiss going on that I have to work on later. Tell me what you think?

:D

Riku

You've got a good live sound. The drums seem pretty overpowering, yet a little distant. The singer sings weirdly, but that doesn't mean it's bad. The mix sounds mono. You play some weird music, for sure. Weird and original at the same time, which is good in today's world. This is certainly a good live track on a home recording forum. Sure, it's not as glossy as in 'real' live albums, but they are sometimes doctored somehow to get that good sound anyway. The sound is still better than crappy bootlegs.

(Mitäs ne pyysi teitä soittamaan, kun en oikein kuullut?)

Thanks...

Ne pyysi soittamaan meidän "iki-vanhaa" suomenkielistä materiaalia... kalju nimistä biisiä.

I know the weird sound comes from the room which is quite unique (Smells like teen spirit type) high school hall (sounds like shit).

About the mono thing... It is recorded with a stereo pair pointed to the stage about 7 meters from it. The mics were placed about 1.5 meters wrom each other. I hope the mics were paned correctly. I have check on that from our "recording engineer":D.

I'm glad that you like our music.

Riku

CrankyOne said:

(Mitäs ne pyysi teitä soittamaan, kun en oikein kuullut?)

What does that say? :D

I agree with Cranky One's comments..(the ones in English) But it sounds a little noisy to me though when the heavier parts kick in.. It's a good tune though. I'd like to hear it actually recorded.. It was cool in it's bootleg quality..

later

sam
(B.Sabbath)

Thanks for your reply Samicide

it was a nice gig....

I'm actually working with that song. One of the reasons I posted it was that I think it works much better live than It does as a studio version.... Sorry I don't have that one ready so I could put that out for a comparison...

Crankyone asked for the name of the song that the crowd was screaming for before the tune. It was one of our earlier stuff, a (punk-type-comedy-number) song named Kalju (Finnish) which means bald-headed in english.... those bloody fans of ours
:D

Riku

by the way... A thing about the Finnish weather in summer time (it varys).... We're doing an acoustic gig outside the day after tomorrow and at the moment it is snowing outside.... :D

Ok guys I will bring this up once again.... (don't burn me)

The tune above is an example recorded in a local "rock festival" and I have promised that I will try to mix couple of the songs (bands) and burn it to cd as a gift for the bands and the volunteer workers. Any ideas what I should do with it????
As I said earlier I brought the levels up in cakewalk and (used L1 Ultramaximizer) Any tricks in mind? The room makes the drums sound pretty gay-like...

Thanks guys...

Riku

Hey I really like this track, pretty full sounding and really pretty tight for a live recording. IMO some of the really high guit parts are a little overpowering, while the bass gets somewhat lost at times. Again I think it's pretty bad ass overall, nice work.

Laj

thanks for your reply laj35, I'm glad that you liked the song.

I agree that the most problems are in the heavy-part with the guitar and open hi-hat... should I bring it down a bit or try to eq it?

Riku

Personally I like the pitch being really high, so I think you should just bring it down a bit, but that's just my opinion, and 'sides eqing probably would be more precise and a little more easier.

Laj

Back