Live to tape.

@RFR are you a Led Zeppelin fan? Were you involved with this in any way? I’m trying to find any detail on what was used to capture the live tracking. Is it buried in the comments or something?

Well - they were certainly playing live, but the recorded mixed and mastered credit suggests the work was done afterwards - I don't think I am reading it as recorded live to stereo, so if those meters were from the multitrack. I've googled the guitarist who seems to have the studio and the live to tape is more about just the band playing and the machine rolling protools, and a Behringer P16 monitoring setup are in there somewhere. I note he's keen on old gear as well as computers and has one of the mixers with the 7" spool reel to reel under a flap! always thought they were neat!

Recording direct to tape doesn't impress me. Playing a song straight through, no matter how it's recorded is the impressive part, although in reality, it's pretty much like doing a live album.

Rhett Shull is a damn good guitarist and has a big Youtube channel. Dylan Adams is a good guitarist. These aren't a couple of guys who got together in a garage and decided to kick out a tune. They play a lot.

More impressive was back in the 70s and 80s when several companies put out albums that were performed, mixed, and mastered to a lacquer in real time. Of course the limited number of pressings meant that they can be rare, although most companies also made backups, either analog or with the then new Soundstream digital system.

I had several including this one. I'll bet the mastering guy didn't worry about hitting -14 LUFS either!

Last edited:
@RFR are you a Led Zeppelin fan? Were you involved with this in any way? I’m trying to find any detail on what was used to capture the live tracking. Is it buried in the comments or something?
I am a Led Zeppelin fan, but only after I managed to recover from years of being sick of hearing them. :D
There was this radio station in LA that had a program called “Get the LED out”
Every freaking day, a solid hour of Led Zeppelin. Yikes!

But no, I had nothing to do with this video or recording. Just sharing.

I just figured it might be a cool thread for people to put up music recorded live to tape….. Either their own, established artists, or other people’s works.

In the age of cut and paste, doing it live is not only impressive but refreshing. :D

@rob aylestone

They are good. Very good. Exceptionally tight and well rehearsed….But it’s not live to tape. Keyword being tape.

This is after all, the analog section of the forum.
Please stay on point.

Last edited:
What about this? One of the greatest live albums in the history of rock. In my opinion.

As far as I know it was captured on two 4track machines. I have no idea what studio wizardry came after the fact. But to this day is still sounds phenomenal.

I get your point RFR, but that recording was recorded on protools, then dumped to tape? That's why I figured you were just talking about the live recording concept - as it was a hybrid, I assumed the 'tape' wasn't the point?

What about this? One of the greatest live albums in the history of rock. In my opinion.

As far as I know it was captured on two 4track machines. I have no idea what studio wizardry came after the fact. But to this day is still sounds phenomenal.

I don't know if it's really the only one, but I've heard several times from several sources that this is the only live Rock album that had no tracks added/erased/replaced. Supposedly, what you hear is what was played. I don't know if that's true, but it seems to be "common knowledge". I believe it, mainly because, as much as it's an incredible album, there are a few bum notes that would have been replaced if they were actually doing that.

Having said that, "Git Yer Ya ya's Out" has some huge, blatant mistakes, too. It doesn't sound like they did anything in the studio for that one, but I don't know that for sure.

I get your point RFR, but that recording was recorded on protools, then dumped to tape? That's why I figured you were just talking about the live recording concept - as it was a hybrid, I assumed the 'tape' wasn't the point?
So they deceptively click baited us with the title???
I wouldn’t know, wasn’t there. :-)

But the get your point as well, Rob.

The recording live aspect (imho) is very refreshing. The emphasis is on musical skill and talent rather than engineering trickery

Last edited:
I think that's what he did - he mentioned it in one of the other videos, saying the idea was to go direct to tape, but the first ones were not. I can see the idea as a good one actually, but protools was probably just faster and simpler until they settled down.

I don't know if it's really the only one, but I've heard several times from several sources that this is the only live Rock album that had no tracks added/erased/replaced. Supposedly, what you hear is what was played. I don't know if that's true, but it seems to be "common knowledge". I believe it, mainly because, as much as it's an incredible album, there are a few bum notes that would have been replaced if they were actually doing that.

Having said that, "Git Yer Ya ya's Out" has some huge, blatant mistakes, too. It doesn't sound like they did anything in the studio for that one, but I don't know that for sure.
Git yer Ya ya’s out… hmm
Got it on vinyl. Gonna have to pull that out. Haven’t heard it in a bit, but remember it being a good raw sounding live album

Git yer Ya ya’s out… hmm
Got it on vinyl. Gonna have to pull that out. Haven’t heard it in a bit, but remember it being a good raw sounding live album
It's my second favorite live album...after Made In Japan.

Reactions: RFR
Tom Dowd recorded the Allman Brothers live at Fillmore East to tape.

According to Dowd, @ wikipedia
"It was a good truck, with a 16-track machine and a great, tough-as-nails staff who took care of business,"

Tom Dowd recorded the Allman Brothers live at Fillmore East to tape.

According to Dowd, @ wikipedia
"It was a good truck, with a 16-track machine and a great, tough-as-nails staff who took care of business,"
... I hope they tracked to tape. They didn't really have many alternatives. Tape, wire recorder or direct to lacquer disk. 😜

Watching an old movie recently, I was a bit tickled when they pull out the 3 inch reel to reel recorder, plop down on of those puny mics, and proceed to interrogate the prisoner. Of course they wrote up their notes and typed them on an old manual typewriter! That's how you know you're watching an old movie. The sad part is that a bunch of us folks here actually used that type of stuff!

Back