Live synth

Yeah, I get that, but does the keyboard have to be plugged in, or is it possible to save its definitions onto the computer?

iancl said:
Yeah, I get that, but does the keyboard have to be plugged in, or is it possible to save its definitions onto the computer?

You get the definitions on the internet. They dont come with it, for some dumb reason. :rolleyes: Nothing has to be "saved" anywhere, the definitions list the patches, you choose the one you want and thats it.

There is very little saving needed with the MM6. It is literally plug and play. It comes with Cubase LE too. You can save performances ( like splits, layers and patterns) but thats really about it.

haven't been reading all of the replies here, BUT, I'd give a thumbs up on the SH201. It's a real synth, that's infinitely tweakable. I think it uses analog modelling, which isn't as cool as having a true analog synth, but really how hard is it to digitally create good sine, square, saw, and tri waves? I think the synth sounds HUGE if you make it. If you're looking for a real synth and not a sound module, I think this would be an excellent choice. I also own a Roland Juno106, Juno 60, and Jupiter 6 so I've got a good handle on Roland's classic synth sounds.

earthboundrec said:
haven't been reading all of the replies here, BUT, I'd give a thumbs up on the SH201. It's a real synth, that's infinitely tweakable. I think it uses analog modelling, which isn't as cool as having a true analog synth, but really how hard is it to digitally create good sine, square, saw, and tri waves? I think the synth sounds HUGE if you make it. If you're looking for a real synth and not a sound module, I think this would be an excellent choice. I also own a Roland Juno106, Juno 60, and Jupiter 6 so I've got a good handle on Roland's classic synth sounds.

Yeah it's just gonna come down to whether or not we actually need a true synth or a keyboard with editable sounds.
I know the SH-201 is at the local store, so we'll try that out, and hopefully they can get in the MM-6 too. They've got more, but none of them really suit.
Ultimately it's not up to me - I'm not gonna be playing it, but the guy who will is gonna be coming along with me.
Thanks everyone :-) It's just gonna be about working out what's required, and then what's available.

iancl said:
Yeah it's just gonna come down to whether or not we actually need a true synth or a keyboard with editable sounds.
Ultimately you will find that you can never have too many. :eek: :mad: :confused: :D

I played the Roland for just a few minutes and I thought it was pretty damn nice myself. The one flaw for live might be the lack of a large LCD screen. Its more of a "mad scientist" synth for experimenting, but it could certainly do plenty live. The MM6 is excellent for realistic sounds, but it doesnt have many mad scientist patches ( it has a few). I wouldnt mind having the Roland, and I liked the fact that it has 61 keys.

In that price range there is also the Korg X50 which is a very nice keyboard. I dont think anyone makes bad keyboards in 2007. :cool: The only ones I dont like are the Alesis QS series ( dont like the sound) and the microkorg ( lil baby keys :mad: ). Other than that, there are a lot of excellent keyboards out there.

Actually I quite liked the SH-201 when I tried it out recently. It's not a bass monster like a Juno-106, but the filter has a certain sweet quality to it that would make it sit nicely in a mix. It definitely has it's own sound.

Not a "fat" synth, but a very good sounding one nevertheless.

When you say it's not a bass monster, you mean it doesn't have as much bass, or it doesn't have so many bass-like sounds?

And yeah, we want more, but y'know, one at a time, need the money!!

It's likely we'll get the SH-201 for the synthy sounds, since I already have a basic keyboard with REASONABLE sounds. Then my mate can look pro, with two layers of keyboards! It's all about looks these days anyway right?! :p

iancl said:
When you say it's not a bass monster, you mean it doesn't have as much bass, or it doesn't have so many bass-like sounds?
As a rule of thumb for me, when I try out synths I just start with a basic patch and start fucking around, unless it's something like a Motif that has an interface created by martians :D

So, to answer your question, I don't know how many "bass" patches/programs it comes with as I didn't try out the presets, just fucked around with the raw oscillators and the filters. The instrument is just not "bassy" if you know what I mean.

I just fucked around with it for about 2 hrs and to my ears it just sounds silky smooth, clear and nice.

Back