"Live" sound from a module or synth?

TaxMan88

Okay, here it is . . .

Is it possible to get a real "live" (or close to it) sound out of a drum machine or module?? If so, what are the tricks? I want my bass drum to stick ppl in the ribs, know what I mean? I want a crisp hi-hat and snare.

Also, if I'm using a synth's drums, I'm pretty sure there is no way to record the drums on seperate tracks while playing the kit on the keys. Is this correct or is there some way I can do it without having to play each part seperately?

I dunno, I'm just a piano player. ;)

--Tax :D

First, and it sounds like you are already doing this, play the parts live - meaning manually push the buttons (or keys) to get a live vs. programed sound, complete with an occasional missed beat, etc. Normally this means one pass with the kick & snare groove and then follow with a second pass for tom fills, etc.

If you do this you can pan kick to the left and snare to the right and record each as a seperate track (assuming you have multiple outs on the module) and pan other passes accordingly.

A good way to get more of a live drum feel is to run the analog signal through a speaker and then use room mics to capture the "room sound". However, this could compromise your desire to record to seperate tracks.

Lastly, selective use of reverb to fatten the sound - a gated reberb in particular can really fatten drums.

Thanks. Great suggestions. Although I'm not sure that I could assign a snare (for example)to one channel and a kick to another channel on the synth. Probably could, but I'll have to consult the manual for that. ;)

Anyone else?

--Tax :D

Back