Live Show with Instrumentals - How to Level

derekp

So I've got a hip-hop show coming up and I'm sharing the stage with another emcee, and we have various instrumentals. In the past when I perform solo I've always had the instrumentals to my albums mastered just like the album itself. In this case, since we have different instrumentals from various projects, what's the best way to insure a level sound without too much variation in dynamics?

Is this something that the sound engineer at the show would be prepared for with gain staging or other techniques, or do you think it's a better idea to have all the instrumentals mastered beforehand?

Sorry if this isn't the right forum.

It would be really helpful to have all the songs mastered to compatible levels so the sound person doesn't have to compensate for big changes from one song to the next.

That said, if the sound person uses something like QLab, they can create a playlist with the volume adjustments built in.

It would be really helpful to have all the songs mastered to compatible levels so the sound person doesn't have to compensate for big changes from one song to the next.

That said, if the sound person uses something like QLab, they can create a playlist with the volume adjustments built in.
OK. I hear you. Thanks for the input. I'll probably go with the former.

Back