Live Setup - Out of Control!

Mealz

Hi, I am currently having trouble with my live setup.
I have a digital piano and a synth, both of which, at times, I want to control 3 different rack modules.

eg. For one song I may want keys 1 to be stand alone and keys 2 to control mod 2 & 3 and then the next song I might want both keyboards to control mod 1. Then I might want keys 1 to control keys 2

Both keyboards don't have fancy controller capabilities (only 1 midi out at once).

How do you control your live rig?

I have had a bit of a look at old patchbays (is this the way to go? - or do i buy a multi zone/channel controller?) like the dmc mx-8, roland a880, jl cooper msb+ and akia me30p but haven't found much information on any of them. Do you have any experiene with these units? What do you recommend?

I have owned many midi patchers, switchers and processors over the years and have yet to find a reliable one that I can confidently recommend.

I've had more problems with products like JL Cooper's MSB+ and Digital Music's MX-8 than I've had with all my various synth modules combined. There are few things worse in the midi world than to get one of these all properly wired with all the presets locked in and have it work for a gig or two, then crap out...

You might want to look for an analog midi switcher - at one time I had a Kamlet 4 in 8 out that had an eight slider switching matrix on the front slanted panel, but they're probably long out of production.

Try Ebay.

Back