live sampling?

Burden of Proof

okay, so several years ago I saw this band that was mostly instrumental surf-rockish sounding music (mermen? perhaps, but not sure - something like that), and the guitarist had this GREAT SUPER NEATO thing going on with his stage equipment.

They started the set, the drummer started playing, and the guitarist played this long, droning, simple riff on the guitar over four bars while pressing on a foot pedal. At the end of the four bars, he stopped pressing on the pedal ... and the riff played back again over the next four bars, and the next, and the next... then he played another riff over that... SAME THING! eventually he had like 8 riffs going and it created this neat, wierd, cumulative sound between the repeated samples. In fact, he even flubbed once or twice, and somehow KILLED the bad sample with another footpedal hit.

Now, he had about a dozen wires coming off his guitar and bound together running down towards his array of footpedals, and a bunch more cables from the pedal mess towards the amp... but I could tell the vast majority of these cables were for 'show' and not really doing anything... just adding to the 'I have a super complex guitar thingie going on here' vibe (some of the cables were duct taped on to non-outputting parts of the guitar, etc).

This was in a small venue, with no 'backstage', and aside from the wire mess I saw no additional equipment creating this effect - is this just some sort of tap-timed multi-sample sampler thrown into the signal path? Does anyone know of a piece of equipment which will do this? I have had this riding in the back of my brain for nearly a decade now, and this seems to be the perfect forum for someone to know what I'm talking about and moreso know how to create this effect... I saw no rack or computers or anything like that involved, so it must be a footpedal deal (or the rack was hidden from view - which would have been difficult in the hole-in-the-wall we were in).

Does anyone know what this is all about?

Back