Live Recording?

Nalencer

I tried to search for this, but the search is acting up on me ;)

So, as to recording acoustic guitar and vocals at the same time. How do you do it? I mean, the bleed issues. Do you just let it happen? Does it not matter if you can hear a bit of guitar in the vocal track and vice versa? Or what? I'm just not sure about it.

Bleed that sounds good is called "ambience." And if you're using cardiods, the amount of bleed shouldn't be objectionable.

Nalencer said:
So, as to recording acoustic guitar and vocals at the same time. How do you do it? I mean, the bleed issues. Do you just let it happen? Does it not matter if you can hear a bit of guitar in the vocal track and vice versa? Or what? I'm just not sure about it.
Some people like to use a figure-8 mic on the guitar when recording guitar and voice concurrently. The figure-8 pattern has the strongest null of any microphone type, so by positioning it correctly, you can minimize the bleed of vocal into the guitar mic. Bleed in the other direction usually isn't as troublesome, but you can use two figure-8 mics (carefully positioned) if you want to really try to minimize it on both tracks.

The other approach is to try to position your mics so that the bleed is complimentary to the recording.

MadAudio said:
Bleed that sounds good is called "ambience." And if you're using cardiods, the amount of bleed shouldn't be objectionable.

That sure wasn't my experience when I tried simultaneously close-mic'ing vocals and acoustic guitar with two cardiod LDCs.

I had problems that were definitely "objectionable".

It sure wasn't what I'd describe as "ambiance".

I'd call it something more like "phase cancellation hell".

:rolleyes:

Now I just set up a stereo pair of LDCs a few feet in front of me and self mix the volume by singing and playing at appropriate levels.

The only trick I use is... instead of the stereo pair facing left/right, I orient it up/down (at about 80 degrees) so the guitar is stonger on one track and the vocals are stronger on the other track. Then, I just pan them hard in the mix and it's a natural dynamic sound.

;)

Back