Live Recording

Mr T

I've been asked to record a 4 piece band in my home studio in a few days time. There's a drummer/ vocalist, bass guitar player, rhythm/ lead guitar player & a keyboard player.
I'm recording with my Mackie mixing desk through a computer using Sonar 3. I also have a good PA system in the live room. Since the multi-core in the live room needs repaired (with loose connections in some ports), at the moment, I'm limited to using 3 to 4 mics. I have a Rhodes NT-2 (phantom power), 4 Sennheisser e835's, a Sennheiser e602 (bass drum mic), a Shure Sm58 & Sm57.
The band want the recording to be as good as possible so they can hear how they' re sounding for an upcoming gig. I've no experience of recording a live band, so does anyone know the best way to mic everything up to get a good level on every instrument?

Your help would be really appreciated.

Mr T said:
The band want the recording to be as good as possible so they can hear how they' re sounding for an upcoming gig.

They don't know how they sound? Oy.

Do you have headphones for everyone? Run the bass direct; run all the vocal mics (Sennheisers should be fine) through the PA head and get a feed from the PA head. Set up the NT2 as a room mic where it sounds best.

Wouldn't this be better done in the kind of venue they normally play in? It will certainly sound different than a home studio.

Back