Live recording vs. Regular

Chrisku13

Well, I want to do a live recording, but have it sound decent. I never thought about it until I heard of one of my favorite bands did it, and the album sounds great. Check out "Roll On" by The Living End. I also want to do it, because recording at seperate times would be a lot harder. Some of our songs stop and the drummer relies on the guitar for him to come back in. Any tips? And If I should do it live, what tips could you give me? Thanks in advance,
Chris

The best tip to getting a good live recording is getting a great sound in the room.
If the room gets boomy or bassy the mics all do to. Try mixing out a problem thats in all the tracks!
Devices can be used to keep sound under control, but always look at placement first. Big thick blankets will deaden brite walls.

Just think it through and you'll do great.

"Some of our songs stop and the drummer relies on the guitar for him to come back in."

thats ALWAYS a problem...you can have him click his sticks thru it, IF theres no cymbals dying out at the time ( good luck), or have someone count on a scratch track. Or play to a click, as repulsive as that might sound to many people.

A lot of " live ' recordings have kicks and snares triggered off tape later, too. So thats always an option, if you cant get a decent blend going easily

Alright thanks. If I record at seperate times, I would want the drum beats first. To listen to that while I record guitar and bass onto it, would I use moniters or headphones?

I agree that if you want it live it's totally possible to get a great recording if your room sounds good and your mics are placed correctly. If it sounds good to everyone while your playing and you can accurately represent that in the recording, what's the problem? You can still go into tracks afterwards for cleanup.

When recording separate tracks, we do a live recording for a scratch track to a click first. Then remove the drums, up the click and lay the real drum tracks with the remaining scratch tracks. The bassist then removes the original bass and drums, uses the real drums and rest of the scratch to record his real bass tracks, and so on. Hope this helps :D

I've done it that way a bunch of times too. Actually, doing it that way, you don't really even need a click at all (it is nicer when all the measures line-up in your recording app, but it's not necessary).

Back