Live recording question

killhead43

My band is going to record just a simple demo so we have something we can drop off at local clubs and such to start getting more shows to play. We want to try both recording multi-track and live and are going to try live first. The only thing is I'm pretty limited on mics. I have an SM57, two e835's, an Audix D6, and an Audix i5. How should I go about setting up the room and placing the mics? The room is about 12x24 and the walls are kind of reflective so what material should I use to cancel that out?

You could record the guitars and bass with DIs and use your mics on the drums and vocals. I'm doing this with a band I'm working with. The bass player and drummer play together all the time and the guitarist usually can't come. I mic the kit, and DI the bass. I take the hi-z output of the DI to the bass players amp and have him turn it as low as possible for the drummer to still hear and play to. If I had a good headphone system I could keep the bass amp off, but I don't so I have to make due. I haven't gotten too much bleed through or anything. If I had to add a guitaring I'd DI it as well and do the same thing. Because I don't have a guitarist when I record I'll be able to take what I have recorded and let him add whatever he wants while listening to the bass and kit. Then I'll go back and add vocals.

One of the really good things to use for absorption is rigid fiberglass, but unless you just happen to have some laying around you may have to order it (I think mine came in a pack of 6 of 2'x4' panels for around $70 shipped, iirc). If not, I've used bed mattresses in the past and they seemed to help with over-reflectivity in the relatively small space we (one of my former bands) were using for rehearsal.

Back