Live Recording in small room

Ziller

In a week I'll be recording my brother's rock band. They want practice tapes where I cut out the guitar for the guitarist, drums for the drummer, etc... The room is in the basement and small. They are somewhat loud, though not to much.

I've got 2 SM-57s and 3 sm-58's to work with. These will be going through a studiomaster board into a TSR-8.

I'll go direct with the keyboard and vocs (off the PA), but will mic the drums and guitar. The guitarist has a Fender Twin and likes that clean, blues/rock sound. There's no bass, since that was me and I quit (to spend more time recording :). I would like to leave a track available, however, to throw some bass on after, just for fun. The drums are an average sized kit.

My biggest concern is picking up the guitar and keys over the drums mic, and drums and keys over the guitar mic, etc. My thought is 2 OH for drums, 1 on kick, 1 on snare. 1 mic on guitar. 1 line in for keys, 1 for vocs, and leave a track for bass.

Any thoughts on this, especially how best to isolate the mics, is appreciated.

You can use old matresses :-)

Serioulsly, I did this very thing by re-recording the drums on an overdub. When you can't do that, gate the drums.

Back