Live Recording in a Blues Club.

samwise666

Basically this is a small venue - about the size of a large living room but with a bar...

I have two Small Diaphragm Condensers and a Stereo Bar

I generally do the live sound for who ever is playing although only vocals usually go through the PA.

My thinking was to set up the SCDs as ambient mics and feed them through the mixer and output to busses then mix in the feed from the vocal mics then record on a 2track teac tape machine.

i have a couple of questions for the more experienced:

1: Will the bleed from the vocal mics mixed with the ambient mics just sound shite

2: Where is the best place to put ambient mics in a situation like this? i.e. close to the band or further away?

You may just tell me that i should go and experiment, but i'd like to hit the ground running with this as there is rarely a chance to muck about in the space with a band but without people so once i'd set up a position for the evening i wouldnt really be able to change it.

Thanks
Sam

Basically this is a small venue - about the size of a large living room but with a bar...

I have two Small Diaphragm Condensers and a Stereo Bar

I generally do the live sound for who ever is playing although only vocals usually go through the PA.

My thinking was to set up the SCDs as ambient mics and feed them through the mixer and output to busses then mix in the feed from the vocal mics then record on a 2track teac tape machine.

i have a couple of questions for the more experienced:

1: Will the bleed from the vocal mics mixed with the ambient mics just sound shite

2: Where is the best place to put ambient mics in a situation like this? i.e. close to the band or further away?

You may just tell me that i should go and experiment, but i'd like to hit the ground running with this as there is rarely a chance to muck about in the space with a band but without people so once i'd set up a position for the evening i wouldnt really be able to change it.

Thanks
Sam

Ambient mics ~ I usually put them close to me while I mix at the mix position .... but you say that this place is the size of a shoe box.
Just get a far away as possible but you said that only vocals through the pa ...hmmm well I hope that everything was well balanced between the vocals and the instruments.
Then I usually take a board feed and when I get back to the shop I mix the two together with a DAW in a computer ... but you did it to tape.
Live is Live just as long as everything is balanced in volume that is about the best you can do.

:cool:

If I only could record to 2 channels at a time I would forget the PA and record the 2 mics to tape direct.

Cheers
alan.

Only vocals through the PA is a problem. To start, in such a small room you shouldn't even need a PA but things being what they are, make sure everyone turns down for the vocalist (usually a big struggle)

Isolate the other instruments(close mic) and run them through the board to have some type of control over the volumes. Ideally you want to track each instrument separately but since you are not, walk around the room and place the mics wherever it sounds the best and make sure you're not mixing them into the PA or you'll have a fun night of feedback.

Based on the above post, I think it would be important to know whether you are using the empty bar as a "studio" or if you are recording a show.

Based on my own experience in blues bars, turning the volume down could put you in a really ugly situation right quick...:cool:

Depending on your live mixer, it may be possible to mic the instruments/amps and mix them as well as the vocals through an unused bus to the tape machine to get the balance you want. You have to be careful of phasing and other issues when mixing a feed like that with ambient mics. If you don't have the luxury of experimenting, it will be a crap shoot.

However, since you're recording direct to 2 track, it would probably be best to just find a good sounding spot in the room and set your condensers up there. Doing it that way, you turn the clock back to the time where people recorded performances rather than "performing recordings." Mic placement and having performers with a good, balanced sound are essential.

Cheers guys

This is recording actual gigs... most blues guitarist's don't really no the meaning of "turn it down so that people can hear the singer" they are the ones that normally give me problems. drummers and bassists are normally pretty good at controlling their volume in relation to the rest of the band... :P

From what you lot have said i think i'm just going to have to keep experimenting with positions until i find a nice one... It's a weekly thing so its not hard to organise, it's just frustrating to have to come home with dodgy recordings... ho hum

i guess i'll just go with the two mics in different spots every week until i find a good place for them

Thanks.
Sam

Another option is to record the board mix in mono on one track and a single room mic on the other. Put the mic up close to stage to pick up everything but what's in the PA. Then mix them to a mono finished product. A PZM at the foot of stage may work.

Back