live recording - comments?

Duck!:D This is one of my favorite tunes of all time.People are playing jazz at the library these days?:eek: The recording sounds fine on my speakers.Everything seems to be ok....the instruments are not stepping on each other.........what did you record this on?Do you play jazz or just record it?Nice performance by this band.

Good job on the recording.:)

Kramer said:
Duck!:D This is one of my favorite tunes of all time.People are playing jazz at the library these days?:eek: The recording sounds fine on my speakers.Everything seems to be ok....the instruments are not stepping on each other.........what did you record this on?Do you play jazz or just record it?Nice performance by this band.

Good job on the recording.:)

Thanks!

I made the recording as a favour for my bass teacher (who was playing double-bass). I'd heard these chaps play a number of times before, and had suggested that it might be a Good Thing to record them for posterity.

I used a pair of SM-81s on the vibes, and a pair of C1000Ses as overheads on the drums (and nothing else); I used a C3000 on the double-bass, and also took an output directly from the amp; I used a couple of TC30Ks as ambients. The audience was very attentive, and the musicians were very good, as can be heard on the recording.

The pres were HHB Radius-40s and Presonus MP20s; the recorder was a Roland VS-1680.

There was no equalization and no effects used in the mix.

- Wil

Cool...is that just a brush being rubbed around on the snare? (my lack of percussive knowledge is becoming legendary). The bass sounds great. A lot of people hate the C3000 for a lot of different reasons, but I think they sound GREAT on acoustic instruments...and mine's been about as roadworthy as a SM58. How many condenscer mics would you feel comfortable lugging around to record live with? (a little plug...maybe a defensive one?).

Anyway, this sounds great to me. The bass player's not shy, that's fer sure. Sorry I can't be more enlightening or informative.

Nice job
-chris

That's a real nice sound. I'm hopeing to do some more remote/live stuff myself. Great job.:cool:

even though you used a couple mics...it does have that xy stereo recording sound... A little heavy on the bass volume. The snare also looses the distinction of the brushes being mic'd from so far away with just the overheads, I thought. Very roomy sounding too... but all in all, a VERY nice recording to listen too. Kinda reminded me of the recital recordings done in the days of yore on a Revox 1/2 track. Vibes sounded good.

Sweet sound!
The vibes sound really nice.

You must be a nice guy to lug all that stuff,set it up,break it down,and lug it back for a favor!
Do you at least get free lessons for a year?:D

Very enjoyable,thanks.

Best to you,
Pete

live?

Wow, very nice and quiet track... for some reason, I expected noise... cuz ya know... live = noise (for us dumb rock types ;))

I love this type of jazz... not that sh*t they call jazz nowadays that's just some a-hole and his synth, thinkin' he's a musical "jeenius" lol...

Cool xylophone, and upright bass... only got 1:34 of the song for some reason... download stopped.

Didn't hear any ducks :o :rolleyes: :D

Chad

This is one of the best recordings I've heard here, no question. Just excellent. The only difference in this and a pro jazz recording is only the final mastering. You really captured the performance and all the detail. This one really caught me off guard! I went--whoa! Sounds like a REAL record!

Wil--I tried to PM you but your mailbox is full. Meanwhile, I'm bumping this because its an excellent recording that more people should hear.

E X C E L L E N T

real jazz... nice.... excellent musicanship and a great capture of a great performance.

The thing I love about good jazz recordings is that the drums sound like they do if you're sitting in the same room..

I'm applausing....

crawdad - I've just PM'ed myself, and it seems to work OK, but when I tried sending you a PM, it told me that your mail-box was full - most probably just a glitch in the system.

The mix I put up on the BBS was just the rough cut. I've been doing more work on the other tracks I recorded, and everyone I've played them to has been very enthusiastic about making a CD. Thanks for the positive comments!

- Wil

PS: here's another (this one's been mastered...) Avalon

Here's another one:

Black Orpheus

I never used to like this song - I think it was the way one of my bands did it (sorta hacked it to pieces) but these chaps make it sound really nice - listen to just after the first bass solo, where the vibes come back in... magic!

- Wil

nice stuff Wil. Is that a real xylophone? I don't hardly ever hear one of those anymore (love the way Zappa used them) I could only hear the beginning of Black Orpheus but what i heard sounded great. :)

Back