Live mixing boards

mutt

Any thoughts or preference between these two boards for mixing live performance??:

CARVIN C1644 or the Behringer MX2442A. We need at least 16 mic inputs and I like some of the features on the CARVIN (although we don't need the built in effects).

Any experience/thoughts on these two, or should we pay more for a Mackie CFX20??

(BTW - we are truly a garage band that only performs about once a month, so we don't travel or use our equipment a lot)

mutt

Never worked with the others, but I don't like the behringer. Don't know if I worked with that particular one live, but I worked the bigger boards, 3282 and mx8000 I think.

For starters; the faders are SHORT! This is no fun working with. You need long faders that look cooler. :cool: But other than that, short faders don't have the right feel. Bah!
The worst thing however is the EQ. I HATE 3BANDS EQ!!! I need 4 bands! Two semi-parametric mids. You just need that live. With just 3 bands, you're always compromising...

BTW what the *puuut* does it say this on their website: EQ (mono channels) High, low, 2 x semi-parametric mids, low-cut???? This is NOT true!! They forgot how you need 2 knobs for one band of semiparametric EQ. What they mean is: EQ: 4 knobs, one high, one low, 2 knobs for the semiparametric mids and lowcut button.

6 aux is ok. That should do, it's close if you want to do the monitoring from your board, but I mostly find myself just using 4 or 5 at most. (Mostly we run 2 monitor lines, one front and left, one right and back.)

4 subgroups is workable. It's handy to have subgroups, but you don't necessarily need 'em. If you like to work with them alot, I guess 8 would be the minimum.

And the number of channels could be enough. Depends on what you want to do. I'd find it to get rather tight, but budget ofcourse is a factor (if you are considering behringer, it MUST be!), and you can get by with these...

I don't like behringer. Never worked with carvin, and never used a mackie live, so I cannot comment on that. Anyway; don't get the behringer. BAH!

If you thinking in the range of Carvin and Behringer stuffs, consider Phonic stuff as well. www.phonic.com

A note about Behringer board, they can get pretty hot and can be a issue. Get those with external power supply should be better.
I've seen the MX9000 in action and perform pretty well.

Look at allen & heath, best boards for the money!

The Mixwizard 16:2 should fit your needs nicely at just over $1000.

I like Allen & Heath. Worked alot on their GL3300. Never worked with the smaller models, but anything can beat the behringer. And it's got 4 bands EQ, with 2 semiparametric mids. That's more like it... aaah....

I looked at the phonic boards and the carvin boards. Dunno... Can't say much without actually working on them. But I'd go for something like the Allen & Heath, or Mackie, or Soundcraft, or anything with a name. Believe me, you don't want to work on a budget mixer... I'll never forget those horrorexperiences with the behringers. BAH!

(My last mixing gig was all behringer. You don't want that. Try mixing with your only efx a virtualizer. Worst reverb EVER! BAHBAHBAH!)

Back