Live mic to help tame a shrill female vocalist.

Chris Shaeffer

Peavey ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey everyone.

Well, I'm learning what I don't know. :O) The lead singer in the band I just joined is a bit shrill at times. She knows it and she's doing what she can to work on that. The other guys in the band keep putting up Beta 58's and 57's for her... I keep trying to tell them she doesn't need a super sensative mic with a presence peak but they're pretty sold on the idea that the beta models are "better." I'll keep trying...

She's looking to get her own mic for Christmas and asked me what she should look for. I realized I have no idea what a good live mic is that would help smooth and fill out a the shrillness.

Any suggestions? Again- a live mic, not a studio mic which is what my searches turned up.

Thanks!
Chris

What's the style of music? For a sultry singer, you can't beat a 55SH :cool: It peaks where the Beta 58 dips, higher than the Beta's presence peak.

Try a sennheiser 421..Often time "peaky" vox can be tamed with one...thats what Stevie Nicks used to use.......Or check out the E/V 357..."female vocalist" dynamic mic............good luck

Thanks.

Very little sultry going on except for one or 2 songs. Its pop / rock with the occassional dip towards pop ballads on one end and pop punk on the other. She's great on the balls-out parts and OK on the quieter parts. Looking for a little sonic help to boost her confidence with the less energetic passages. She's pretty new to lead singing, but picking it up quick.

I'll check out the 55sh, the 421 and the EV. I've been thinking of the Neumann 105 for the studio, but even if I do pick it up I don't know that we'll have the ability to control a condensor mic live. When we're mixing ourselves (i.e. most of the time) I'd just as soon NOT have a super sensative mic out there.

Take care,
Chris

Chris Shaeffer said:
Thanks.

Very little sultry going on except for one or 2 songs. Its pop / rock with the occassional dip towards pop ballads on one end and pop punk on the other. She's great on the balls-out parts and OK on the quieter parts. Looking for a little sonic help to boost her confidence with the less energetic passages. She's pretty new to lead singing, but picking it up quick.

Hmmm, I dunno then. A big factor with the 55 is psychological, but the style has to fit. The thing's a big ass prop, so it has to work with the band's image.

Yeah. I think she might hide behind it, actually. :) Not that she's shy or hides, but... it looks like a big thing to look at the audience through. Its on the edge of appropriate for the band, though. I'll offer it as an option and see what everyone says. Might be kinda fun, but my guess is that she'll go for a more versatile looking mic.

-Chris

Well, we have a couple SM58's I can try with her. On some notes she 'bought tears my head off with a Beta 58... and the freq. chart for the SM58 looks like it has MORE presence peaking. The beta looks smoother and more controled in the upper mids... but since I have it I can try it.

I'm pretty sure what's happening is that she pulls off the mic for louder notes and the proximity effect vanishes... eeeYowch!!!

- Chris

Well, it's important to know whether she holds the mic or not. If she does, the Shure 55 and the Senn 421 will not be good choices. They're too big.

Umm, I think Stevie Nicks is known for using a Sennheiser MD441, not 421. The 441 would be a GREAT choice, but is pretty expensive. Senn MD431 is pretty good, too, and it *looks* cool.

I've had great success with female vocalists with the EV N/D 367.

The Beyer M500 (ribbon) will definitely smooth things out as well.

AGCurry said:
Umm, I think Stevie Nicks is known for using a Sennheiser MD441, not 421. The 441 would be a GREAT choice, but is pretty expensive.

oops...that 2 is awful close to that 4 :rolleyes: your right, I meant to say MD441....my bad.

i would DEFINITELY go the EV route. as someone else said, check out the 357. they're really cheap on the used, too.

i love EV dynamics.

cheers,
wade

Back