Live kick sound

mm2k5

when i run my kick into our board all i get is a thud, and i am wanting more of a punch. The actually kick sounds great but i cant get it to go though the board with the same sound. Should I tighten the heads so there wont me as much of a thud? The board is a 3 band eq anything i should fine tune it to? Thanks

1. What kind of heads are on it?
2. What kind of muffling is in it?
3. what kind of kick mic?
4. how is the mic placed in relation to the drum? (i.e., outside the batter head? Inside?)
5.How are you tuning it?
6. what kind of mallet are you using?

Tim

1. What kind of heads are on it?---the beater side i have evan g2 and the other i think is like a g2, but has the hole in it

2. What kind of muffling is in it?---I have some towels, should i invest in a small feather pillow?

3. what kind of kick mic?--- my mics are peavey, i got the package with all 5 mics, they are great to everything else.

4. how is the mic placed in relation to the drum? (i.e., outside the batter head? Inside?)--- I use my drum mic case to prop the mic on the other head...it is right in the center about 3 inches away

5.How are you tuning it?---right now both heads are pretty loose

6. what kind of mallet are you using?---Gilbralter pedal with plastic beater

Buy a "Evans EQ gate" pillow.

You can either crank it up in pitch, or you can detune it completely...I mean, leave it so loose that the metal almost jingles and the head still has some slack and wrinkles in it.

Tim

I wouldn't put it on the front head, that would be a complete waste of money. You're supposed to put it on the back head, because when you hit the head, the little "gate pad" moves away from the head, then moves right back into place cutting off the ring of the back head.... and yes- it will give you killer punch live.

Tim

The pillow mounts against the back/batter side, and the front side is left to resonate freely.
Them you'd put the mic inside the kick drum throught the front / resonant side head.
The Drum will be big, but punch sounding.

Tim

Back