Live Indie-Brit-Pop

Royston

Hey folks,

I'm taking a hiatus from the solo work and would appreciate some input on a live track that my new band "The Shivers" recorded. The song is called "Taking My Time" and you can stream it or download it as you wish.

Cheers in advance.

The website is http://www.mp3.com/the_shivers

I liked it... Very nice for live...

2 small nitpicks..

Cymbals sounded not crisp enough.... and The lead vocal, needs some heavy De-essing....

Other than that.... I really dig it...

Joe

I don't think it's because you laid low lately.... Hell I hadn't barely been on this board for 3-4 months, Then out of the blue, I came on and posted a song.. I got like 15 replies for one song, and 29 replies on another...

Im not sure, why.... The only thing I can think of is that I always get back to each single reply.... A) It shows people your intersted in there critiques and thankful that they took the time to listen............. and, B) It keeps your thread near the top.. ;).... But , A) most importantly..

I didn't expect any special reply from you, cause I didn't offer any ground breaking advice... But try replying to every one after this.. and see what happens..... You might get alot of action...(plus, Im curious, as to whether my theory is correct).... :)

Royston, I hope this helps in some small way.....

Good luck, and CHEERS! :D

I'm trying to get into the habit of hitting the "Reply" button as soon as I download a tune- otherwise I end up not replying...

Good recording for live, definately. Its got a nifty space to it. The seem a bit to present for me in places- especially that symbal off to the side (I have it on the right). Man that thing stands out! Most of the time, though, the rest of the drums sound pretty good.

The vocals sounded a bit thin- they cut through the mix that way, but they also sound like they aren't all there.

Is that rythm guitar in mono? It would sound killer if it were in wider stereo and fill out the sound a bit more. I also wanted to hear a bit more bass in there- I can barely hear it in my monitors.

Just switched to the bassy ol' cans. Sounds a lot better. :)

What are you mixing on?

Good tune. I just wish that cymbal would go away so I could listen to it more.

Voxvendor and Chris thanks for the replies and insight. Sometimes I get a ton of reviews other times just one or two, I've even see a few poor souls get none. But there is usually good reason for that like a huge download and no streaming etc.

Thanks for the input anyways and by the way the rhythm guitar was actually played on a Vox Mark III

I didn't mix this particular song myself but I believe it was mixed on an Akai hard disk 12 track digital recorder.

I like it Roystie! It's a great live recording if you ask me. It sounds like your sound guy did a good job of mixing the instruments at a nice level to be able to hear everything. Nice song too.

Where was this recorded? Was this really recorded in a club? The applause sound sort of looped in the middle section, or is it just me imagination?

When did you get a band together anyway?

Back