live drums to midi

murf214@

Hey all,
I just recorded my drummer and I'm not happy with the bass drum. So I converted the audio file to midi. When Logic did it's magic the notes were plotted all over the place. Is there a way to select them all and select the note to be C1 or do I have to individually change each note. Any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks,
Sean

Sean,
It may take some tinkering, but I think there's a way to do this in the Transform Window. A quick glance at my Logic manual mentions the "Range" parameter for midi editing. Essentially, applying the Range function in the Transform Window of your selected track takes all of the notes outside the allowed range and reassigns them within the range. In theory, you could use a range of only C1 and try to get Logic to reassign all the other notes in the track...

Hi

Sorry to jump on thread here. Just a question as i am a noob here.

Whats the advantage of converting kick drum track to a midi track? This isnt a trick question, i just want to know so i can consider trying it myself.

I'm in a band and the producer we used for our last project converted a few tracks to midi for the application Drumagog which gave the cleaner drum sound that we required at the time.

Whats the advantage of doing it if your not using software like this?
Does it become more editable?

Does the sound of the drum remain exactly the same but midi enables easier editing?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Adam

There are a couple of advantages.

I'm not sure what the original problem was, but it is likely to be one or more of three things:

1 Bad sounding kick, or a sound not suitable for the track
2 Highly irregular kick (e.g. in volume and tone)
3 Badly timed kick

Converting to midi allows you to straighten up the timing (if that's the problem, and there are no issues with overheads).

You can then use the midi to drive a drum vsti (e.g. Battery) with a kick sample that is more suited to the track.

So answering your questions:

1 yes, it becomes more editable (but see my caveat about overheads)
2 the sound of the drum sounds the same if you decided to use it as a sample. You wouldn't want to do this if the original sound wasn't good. You'd go searching for another sample.

All three reasons Gecko stated were the reason I did it. It also made it easier editing the song. When recording we forgot a part. It was just a repeat of the last line in the chorus. By having the kick drum notes plotted in the piano roll I knew exactly where I had to copy/paste.

The easiest way to do this is to open your event list editor.

First select all of your Midi notes that you want to change (Go to piano roll and press Shift-A).

Then open the Event List Editor. It's under Lists at the Top right (next to bounce, colors, media...)

Choose the Event tab (far left). Here, all your midi evens you selected in the piano roll are represented.

Double click and change the first note to whatever you want it to be. AFter your change that, simple press Shift-V. All the notes will now change to that note.....

cheers

Back