Live Drum Recording :)

JPlush76

Hey all, I've read through about 19 pages of drum threads in here and haven't come to any surefire solutions to live drum recording. hehe

I've seen 3,4, and more mic ideas.. unfortunately most of the mp3 samples aren't up anymore on the old threads

I have a kick mic, sm57 and bunch of 58's and a shure KSM27 condenser mic

12x12 semi padded practice room with 5 piece drum kit

should I rent another condenser and do two overheads?

what have your best results come from? I'm recording them into a tascam 788 digital porta studio

There is no surefire solution. A lot depends on what sound your looking for.

Do you want a tight close miced sound?
Do you want that Led Zep sound?
Do you want a light jazzy sound?
Going for a rock arena sound?
Is it important for you to have a wide stereo seperation?
etc.......etc.....

well I'd kill for the drum sound of the deftones :o
if your familiar with that

but I think any decent drum sound will do, I'm a newb still so it will take a bunch of trial and error to figure out what I'm really lookin for I guess.. plus I'm not a drummer :)

Eric54 said:
This might help you out. It's a link to an interview with Terry Date. It has a little bit of info on how he records the drums.[/url]

yeah, all that you need is a couple of thousand dollars in Neumann mics and you're all set!!

seriously though, I prefer a stereo pair of Overhead condensers, a kick mic, and a snare mic. seems you have the kick and snare covered - if you could rent another ksm27 you'd be set.

...with good mic positioning (and decent mics (which the ksm27s are), the OHs pick up enough toms to not need to close mic them....but it's all in what you want really

I'm not too familiar with the Deftones...so I don't know what their drum sound is like...

JPlush76 said:
Hey all, I've read through about 19 pages of drum threads in here and haven't come to any surefire solutions to live drum recording. hehe

I've seen 3,4, and more mic ideas.. unfortunately most of the mp3 samples aren't up anymore on the old threads

I have a kick mic, sm57 and bunch of 58's and a shure KSM27 condenser mic

12x12 semi padded practice room with 5 piece drum kit

should I rent another condenser and do two overheads?

what have your best results come from? I'm recording them into a tascam 788 digital porta studio

Do me a favor.
go listen to this first song (Scattered) and see if this kind of drumsound will work for you.

http://www.mp3.com/Phinehas_Priest

This is 4 drum tracks:
Kick (Pair of Akg D112's connected in phase with an XLR "Y" combiner.)
Snare (Beyer M422)
Stereo Overheads (Mxl 603's)

All I did was roll off 6 db's at 800 hz. midrange, and put a small amount of Plate Reverb on the kit.

Tim

i must mention, i have tried countless times to get a nice tight tom and flr tom sound out of miking kick, snare and 2 OHd. and i have to mention, theres no way to get it. glad you mentioned deftones drummer. very tight isolated tom sounds that stand out just right above the rest of the set and the other instruments in the recording. if you want to gain that nice isolated tom sound that cuts through the rest of the set's noise and stands out above the surrounding instruments, i couldn;t tell you how to do it, but i can tell you that you will never achieve that sound without miking each tom individually. if you can manage to get those overheads to grab those toms nice and clear and tight, your cymbals will be blowing your ears out and ruining the rest of the recording. i wish i had something other than pecemism over the idea of using only 2 OHs, but i too have been searching for a good sound with un-exceptional luck. i could be talking out of my ass and just haven;t been doing it right, but i've tried too many different techniques and settings to have just missed the right way to do it. if there is a right way of doing it, i'm sure i stumbled upon it at one point or another and wasn;t satisfied. toms like to linger behind everything else, even when their miked individually, and when you place other instruments into the recording, you'll notice that the bass and snare will be cutting through, and your cymbals may sound ok, but the toms get lost under the surrounding instruments. hence making things sound like your toms arn;t miked and everything else is. i too would like to know how the best of the best get their toms and cymbals to sound perfect against the surrounding instruments in a recording, i have trouble with it even when miking all toms individually. it's a pain in the ass. the snare likes to kill me when working with overheads too. but i think thats cuz i can;t get my snare to tune right or sound good in the first place.
if i AM missing the right way of doing it, please show me, lol.

Back