Live adjusting effects of multiple tracks

micfx

Lets say we have a song recording containing several tracks . Now I would like to live adjust some effects of the individual tracks while the song playing by using an an endless midi rotary knob controller . Thereafter i want to do the same procedure several more times , where each time I would be adding/subtracting on my previous previous adjustments . No audio data should be lost between the sessions i.e. if i put the "volume effect" of a part of a track to zero i want to be able to bring it up "from the dead" on a next take . I believe doing this enough times , with the right sound coloring effects , should result in sound mastery . Does anyone know if and how this could be done ?

Last edited:
"Live" - do you mena a live performance, or live mixing of the sound? If you are adjusting the sound/FX parameters, you need to print/write them to the DAW in order to save them.

"Live" - do you mena a live performance, or live mixing of the sound? If you are adjusting the sound/FX parameters, you need to print/write them to the DAW in order to save them.
I mean live (during playback) adjusting the sound of the tracks while they all are playing together , and doing this several times on the same track , adding/subtracting to previous values , and the final session will be the end product .

In other words , if the volume of a part of a track is too low i want to adjust it with a knob while listening to it , like on a speaker or dj hardware . But i also want to be able to restart the playback to listen to the continuously changing values from my previous "live-adjustment-sessions" while fine-tuning them with the same technique . Adjusting values on a non-first run should add or subtract from previous values on the equivalent effect , track and position-in-track .

So the question is , what DAW , if any , has good functionality to print/write continuously changing knob-adjusted parameters to the DAW which were adjusted during playback ? And can this DAW handle adjusting previously-adjusted parameters by restarting playback and repeating the adjustment process , while hearing and fine tuning the previous adjustments ( without overriding them ) ?

Last edited:
It's called automation. All daws have it. Some have different ways (or different modes) of overwriting previous data.

Following a midi rotary knob controller...?

Probably not!

To the OP, automation can be done 'live' - adjusting the volume (or other parameter) using mouse or a control surface - which 'writes' to the DAW track, or can be done by 'drawing' the automation manually (either during playback or while the project is paused/stopped.

A common way to approach this is to record your automation moves whilst the project is playing and then go in afterwards to manually edit the individual "nodes" to create smoother curves and generally tighten things up

Back