Live acoustic diddy. How's it sound? "Dreamy Seads"

theron

Hey peoples,

I recorded this tune live with some new gear. I want to do a collection of live acoustics songs and would love any help on achiving a decent sound for such recording. I basicaly just set up a mic on the git and one on the vox then pressed record. Any tips on fine tuning this approach would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your concideration. The song's called "Dreamy Seads" http://www.nowhereradio.com/theron/singles

Peace,

Theron.

sounds good to me.....if your just looking for just a solo acoustic thing, this sounds fine to me........you didn't do any eq or compression?...what kind of mics did you use anyways?

Hey Theron,
Very nice man, this stuff is definitely you. very nice indeed. Ive noticed in reading your posts and replies that you are a bit of a wordsmith. .....good at it too, I might add. This genre of music lends itself well to that, .......it works for you. ...and yes "Southern Cal is the place to go":) "left me here in 'Colera' ...do ........I like that.

......New gear? Mic? Everything sounds well recorded. A little compression might take that slight boominess out of the vocals for you..... and then again, that might be my headphones............consult good monitors :)

Nice work as always theron......... g

You know, with all the "work" I put into recording to do things like minimize noise and isolate echoes, the truth is that some of my best "mixes" have started out with a scratch guitar/vocal track that I ended up keeping. (Kind of a bear to put drums to it later); there's just something about the blend of the human voice and a live guitar that makes me pitch better and play better.

This sounded really good, by the way, on headphones. I can't comment on the song yet, because I spent the first 2 spins just playing away in Pentatonic D. GREAT VIBE to this. You're smarter than I am...whenever I record this way, it's with one condenser mic, so ONE EQ for the git and the vox...which makes no sense unless you just don't EQ at all. I thought the acoustic sounded good...(not "great" like when you can just EQ the snot out of it until it sounds better than any real guitar does). THIS IS MY LONG WAY OF SAYING...."Cool" song. I feel fairly comfortable in stating that you're not gonna' run into any "phase" problems or other hidden sonic issues on this mix. I dig the natural.

:D
-chris

Sounds cool!

I've been trying to do the same thing for years,no luck yet.
Seems like you hit on a good formula!

Nice guitar playing and singing!
I dig the melody.

The only thing I hear on my pc speakers is,sounds like it needs a little more high end.

Really good sound,please share all your secrets!:D

Best to you,
Pete

Left me here in Coloraa...

(wait for it)

(it'll happen)

DO!

cool. (Also liked "cobalt nights."). Tried 3 times to make out what you said about "cancer," but couldn't catch it. I'm just gonna' assume it was profound.

(I Gotta' Eat!)

:D
-chris

powderfinger,
Thanks for the ear dude,
I used an MXLv67 on the vox through an ART TUBE PAC set to limiter (I wanted and intimate vox and tend to suck at mic technique in the digital world). For the git I just picked up a SHURE PG81.

No compression (minus the mic pre). I slapped a smidge of verb on the vox when "mixing".

Guernica, You're always there to help a guy out. Thanks.
The new mic is the PG81. I'm getting alot of bleeding from the mics but, I don't know if I should care.

SoCo is cool. I lived in SD for 4 years and then CO for another 4 before finding myself in MN. I can see myself moving back to either place. Thanks for the listen.

chrisharris,
I agree that it is hard to beat the emotion and vibe of live recording. It has been a hard adjustment since I started producing and really "recording" my songs. Sometimes the overdub route is so sterile.

I'm trying to avoid eqing the git. When I sit on the couch and play a song, I really like how my guitar sounds. I want to preserve that sound. Not to mention, I am an eq moron. I hate having to gut the tone out of my git due to my ignorance and I hope this set-up will help minimalize the problem.
your a fine songwritter and I'm glad you liked the tune:)

petelait,

I think I devulged my "secrets" in the reply to powderfinger. If you want more detail, just ask.

Funny, when I was mulling over what I wanted to accomplish as far as sound on this recording, I thought of your recordings along with a few others on the board. In short, I was trying to get as nice of a sound as you on this type of recording.
Thanks for the kind words and your time,

Theron.

:) :) :)

Chris,
the word "cancer" does not occure in the song. Where in the tune did you pick that up?

Does this mean I have a vocal articulation issue or a vocal level issue or......?? This is worriesome as, the recording demands understanding the lyrics (IMO).

Oh No!!:mad: :)

BAHAhahaha

Man, as soon as I hit "submit," I thought to myself..."Perhaps you'd best not guess at the lyric after 4 hours of listening to yourself at maximum volume on headphones." (trying to finish a project that just will not end...that's when I get all my best new song ideas!?!?).

I don't think it's you, it's my fatigued ears. @ 2:20. Man, it's gotta' be "can" something!

The way you wrote that last post was just...priceless. ("The recording [i.e., one voice, one guitar] demands understanding the lyrics."). I guess you could blame it on that guitar player for playing too loud :D, but I think it's my mush ears.

Heartfelt song-not sad, just honest. I like to hear that.

-chris

:D Cool Coffee House tune Lee! I doesn't get much better than that, Bro! Colora

do

Like it alot. Mix sounds awesome.

Blessings;

CR

"Now I plant my dreamy seeds in a place that I can oversee...deep inside of me."
Fine writing, Theron. This song has become one of my favorites on the board, with just one listen. Your voice and guitar sound great...deep and rich.
Articulation problem? I wouldn't worry too much. The listener will be drawn back to this song by its quality, and will soon understand all the words. You don't want to show all your cards before the last bet anyway. :D
Seriously...this is strong writing, and strong performing. Very tough to pull off with just voice/guitar, not many can handle it.
You did it up just right, my friend.
As far as mix, sounded perfect here, on comp tweeters and subwoofer.
Congratulations on an excellent piece.

Mark

nice solo live venture. I must say it sounds like you're right on the edge with the timing on your guitar sometimes. ...granted, a click(or guide) track is NOT called for in this situation, but it seems to "stumble" a bit at times. Fine lyrics too. ..and the sound is good on the vocals. I'm a sucker for a wider guitar sound though.

"cancer dude gonna spend the night"?

real nice folk cafe kind of sound. i used to live in san diego for about 3 yrs and used to play at drowsy maggie's folk cafe. ever go there?

keep up the good work!

:)

OK, Chris, not to harp on this but, I guess I'm gonna harp on this:D The line is "can't seduce......" that is where the "cancer" thang happened. Thanks for the reply and the chuckle..

Axe4Yahweh,
Thanks for the ear dude,
I have a bluesish tune in the works and I've been thinking of the shelling you're gonna give me when (and if) I post it:D
I've played a couple coffe house type things but, never this song. I get all tense on stage with just me and a git. I even got tense recording this song in my studio/room all alone. I can hear the retraction in my vocals:( .

mkg,

Wow, I didn't expect such lofty praise. I'm semi-familiar with your work, I've listened to all you've put on the board, and I'll take your words as a heartfelt compliment..........Thanks, I needed that.

I've been so tempted to record full band stuff with my newfound recording abilities that I've all but forgot how and why I started to write songs. It is nice to hear that a simple live recording can still evoke a nice listen for someone.

theron.

TheRealWaldo said:
Quick question, what the hell is a 'sead'?

W.

HAAAAA....

A "sead" is the small town, public education, lazy minded way to spell "seed". "NEAD" I say more.........:o :o :o

mixmkr said:
nice solo live venture. I must say it sounds like you're right on the edge with the timing on your guitar sometimes. ...granted, a click(or guide) track is NOT called for in this situation, but it seems to "stumble" a bit at times. Fine lyrics too. ..and the sound is good on the vocals. I'm a sucker for a wider guitar sound though.

Hey mixmkr,

At the risk of making excuses:D , I think you're right on the timing thang. I just got my acoustic out of the hospital for some routine surgery so I havn't had my sweaty little paws on it but for this song in a week or so. I hope to actually practice before I call a version done. Glad you like the overall sound. I think I'll proceed with this template of live git and vox recording.

Thanks for your time and ear, I tend to appreciate the former and trust the latter.

Theron.

Jeap,

No, I never had the chops, songs or balls to get up there.:( .
I used to watch some friends "The swamp Poets aka leather muffin aka bug guts" rip the stage a new one. Decent venue and a seemingly dying nitch.

you've a tune that I need to listen to:D

Theron.

TheRealWaldo said:
Quick question, what the hell is a 'sead'?

W.

LOL! :D That's what I was thinking!

Good tune Theron.. the new gear sounds good.. I don't know man, imhop, I would really consider laying the vocals after so you can concentrate on each part.. I hear the fluctuations in both.. Really good classic tune though.. I also like the sound of this.. great melody..

"left me here in Colora...................................................doh!' :D
good stuff!

off topic, I downloaded the Lame encoder.. you should really check it out. I'll be emailing you shortly..

Back