Little things to make my roomstudio better

NoahP.

Hey

Was wondering if there was anything i could do to make my makeshift room studio a bit better for recording. I don't want to start buying foams as such, as I'll be gone in two years.
I have the chance to totally remake my room, so if there is anything like be in a corner or something that would help, that would be great.
I will re-arrange my monitors, they are currently to my left, so i have to turn sideways to listen properly.
Im in the space to the left in picture 4 when i'm taking picture 3. just for some reference.

Thanks,

Noah

Attachments

• IMAG0341.jpg
    IMAG0341.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMAG0346.jpg
    IMAG0346.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMAG0343.jpg
    IMAG0343.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMAG0342.jpg
    IMAG0342.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 76
Bass traps and more bass traps. At the very least one in all four wall ceiling corners. Don't buy foam, it doesn't do the job. Use roxul rockwool, or Corning 703 type insulation. 4 inches thick minimum, 6 inches is better. Cheap to make yourself, and when you move, take them down and move 'em to your new place. Consult the forum here for lots of threads on construction of bass traps with pictures and instructions. I've got mine all hung by one sturdy hook in the ceiling. When you move, take it out and fill the holes with some plaster repair.

I would place the desk on the window side, in center as far out from the window/wall as possible. Keeping balanced between walls/treatments is very important. Bass traps (rockwool 4" min.) in those corners on either side of window at very least. Treat first reflection points (2" rockwool min.) on both side walls and ceiling. Leave the entry door open and stuff the closet corner with rockwool. Even easier though not so attractive, just purchase rolls of pink insulation (no paper backing) and stack them in the corners, still in the plastic wrapper.

Room treatment in this small a room is a must. I would do that before any other purchase.

Ah Thank you so much.
This gives me a lot to think about, I'll make sure to get it done!

Back