Little Feat production and engineering

Flangerhans

Dodecahedronic member
OK, so this last weekend, I was hurtling across the country, scanning the radio stations as I drove through the night. Around the middle of Arkansas, I heard a midnight album, Little Feat's Dixie Chicken. It was new to me, and completely blew me away with the great sound, in particular the drums cutting through the mix yet sounding very full and round. Great stereo field, incredible clarity, not overcompressed at all, yet loud enough to transmit very nicely. I've been looking on the web, and found three names that took responsibility for this, and if anyone knows more about their work, techniques, etc., I'm interested. Lowell George took production credit, he's the slide and vocals in the band. Two engineers are listed, Robert Appere, and Mike Boshears. Boshears has been linked with the infamous Dylan "Basement Tapes", and Appere has worked with a wide variety of acts. No interviews that I've found, though.

In particular, I'd like to know more about the mike placement and room treatment that got such a good tone, but any information would be welcome.

42 years old and you are just now learning of Lowell George and Little Feat? My boy, you DO have some catching up to do! :) ;) :D

Sorry I have nothing specific on their ptoduction technique, but considering that we're talking 1973 and we're talking a band make up of seasoned session musicians (e.g. Lowell George, Paul Barrere, Sam Clayton) with histories that ranged from working with Frank Sinatra to Frank Zappa, most of what you're hearing there is pure musicianship. Sam Clayton on the drums, who has had a history with Freddie King, Duane Allman and many, many others is 95% of what you're hearing there, far more than any special tracking technique.

G.

Thanks for the posts..that album is now on my reference list, to be played when I think something I've recorded is worth a damn, and thus trashing any traces of pride I may have built up. I was hoping that someone would say, "Oh, Dixie Chicken? They used a magic box, the LA-1176 pultec, makes everything sound like that..." Now, my only hope is to become a better recordist and musician, which is way more work than just plugging in a magic box. Damn!

For a little help, research "Clover Recorders" for some more insight to the equipment used. The recordings would have been done on high end stuff, especially since there is no middle of the road stuff from then.

E-maliing the engineers/musicians couldn't hurt either.

Well, I got this one email from Mr. George, but I don't think it's reliable...says, "Heroin and groupies...and a U-87."

Last edited:
Back then it was all analog. I have been trying for the last few years to get that sound out of my digital gear.

It ain't gonna happen on my budget... :(

Good god, what a stellar career! It's like a who's who of great sound. Thanks for posting the link, that's why I'm here, learning my tail off. Now I need to listen to this stuff for a while and get an idea of how I want drums to sound.

Flangerhans said:
Good god, what a stellar career! It's like a who's who of great sound. Thanks for posting the link, that's why I'm here, learning my tail off. Now I need to listen to this stuff for a while and get an idea of how I want drums to sound.

I think that recording to tape is key to getting that sound. I also love the tight quality of the drums on that album. If you dig that drum sound, check out Narada Michael Walden on Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Visions of the Emerald Beyond". Obviously, musically it's extremely different, but it's got that sound.

Best,

JD

Thanks for the rec...I'm sure you are right about recording to tape, and probably a wider format than the one I am using. I've listened to the first two Mahavishnu Orchestra albums w/ Cobham, and they are very impressive indeed. I'll be listening to this one next.

Flangerhans said:
Thanks for the rec...I'm sure you are right about recording to tape, and probably a wider format than the one I am using. I've listened to the first two Mahavishnu Orchestra albums w/ Cobham, and they are very impressive indeed. I'll be listening to this one next.

Excellent! If you dug those, "Visions" will surely rock your socks off.

I can't believe I forgot to add this one

Robert Palmer's 1974 "Sneakin' Sally Through The Alley" is right in there. Little Feat is his band on the album. Palmer's style back then was very different from how you might conceive of him because of is 80s fame. The man was a bonafide soul singer. The production value on this album is identical to that of "Dixie Chicken".

Best,

JD

From a pure audio perspective... "Waiting For Columbus" is one of the best sounding albums I have ever experienced... it captured the essence of an amazing band live.

George Massenburg produced the album... and it is a solid, sonic masterpiece with some incredible performances and a vibe that actually puts you "in the building".

I saw that tour in 1977... it changed my life. That album reflects all of the groove and emotion in the room that night.

Buy it, listen to it... listen to it again... learn every note, study the audio arrangement of the sounds and the depth of the audio and you'll learn a shitload about engineering.

Peace.

Right on! My fav. live album; it is i my system at home right now. Take Fletcher's advice. Run to store buy, listen, learn. :)

Back