Listen to my mix and rip me apart. This means you Ed. (or anyone)

xparkerx

if you guys have some feed back that would be swell.

I'm using:

Nuendo
echo mona interface

e609 on guitars, sm57 on snare, akg d112 on kick and bass guitar, (2) crown cm700 for over heads.

let's hear it. ;-)

fair enough. Hey all you really cool smart dudes. Maybe you could take a couple minutes from your very important busy day to give an opinion to a poor noob like myself. hahahahha

He means Dennis Hopper.

I mean grasshopper. :D

Say, I had a listen to your tune. Is there any way you could be more specific in what you're asking? I mean, what do you want to know? Your instructions were to "rip it apart." What do you mean by that specifically? I mean it's a pretty strangely sadist / masochistic request. Here it is . . . now insult me.

Do you just want me to tell you it sucks? Or do you have specific quesitons like: "Are my levels good? What do you think of the panning? Is there too much reverb" kinda' stuff.

It's okay stuff, for the most part. There are things I really like about it and things that could have been done better . . . but I have no idea what you're trying to do with it. Pass it out in hopes of getting gigs? Selling it? Is it just for fun?

ok goodpoint.

well i just started a couple months ago putting things together for a project studio in the basement of my house. Ideally i honestly want to record full time. that's the dream. So i'm looking to absorb any knowledge i can.

But yah, tell me what you don't like about it.. what can be better.. lets pretend for the sake of argument that this is for a release on a indie label or something.

thank you much.

jay.

Sounds pretty good. Nice job on the drums. The weak link right now is the bass. It drops out in the mid range and comes back in too boomy in the sub range.

I pretty much agree with what these guys are saying about the bass.

There are things I like about the drums . . . but overall, I'm missing some of the attack. When you compress or limit, you should leave some room for dynamics. I mean if you're just flattening it, there's no room for the initial attack of the stick followed by a slight pumping, then sustain. You just get this blop of a sound. I like to use the term "thwack." There's no "Thwack!" left -- it's just "AAAACK" :D

I'm probably being too critical with the drums, because they are close, especially for someone who's just starting out, moreless.

Other than that, I like how you've mixed the drums and I like the natural room sound you seem to be getting.

I'm kind of divided on the guitars. I like the arrangements and I like the ideas you had for the tone and what not. But I just think you should start spending more time experimenting with different amp tones, trying to get stuff that just really kind of jumps out of the monitors . . . and when you go for that 2nd or 3rd layer or part, try out a shitload of different kinds of tones to find ones that compliment one another while offering unique tonal variations. Right now it seems like they're almost there, but either fighting one another or just mushing together in a slight mud puddle. I can tell you're headed in the right direction with it, though.

It seems like the song needs more focus--whatever that means. Perhaps a vocal to add more structure? I wanted to hear a Mission of Burma type singer somewhere after the first 30 seconds and it never materialized. You're near Boston, right? See what Roger Miller is up to these days.

ok when i listened to it i didnt hear vocals at all...where are the vocals? try bringing that snare down some and bring the guitars in a little more. less boom on that bass (try a DI)

you guys are totally right on. The snare is too loud for sure. nobody mentioned the overheads i thought that they might be a bit shrill but since no one mentioned it i guess i'm the only one who hears it.

Bass is too boomy i'll give you that. Since the guitars are so overdriven i was hoping that the bass would thicken and carry the main weight of actually making discernable notes out of it. But i went a bit too far. I must be getting bass cancellation where i sit with my monitors because this isn't the first time i've come out too boomy. The mix you guys heard is after i already took some bass out for the first time. weird.

Fenix: you said drums are too mono sounding. Not sure how to fix that. I only have 4 mics set up and i've panned my overheads... not sure what else to do.

Thanks for all the feedback.. we are looking for a vocalist btw ;-) someone who has a good sense of key and a interesting voice but isn't afraid to scream.

The snare being too loud during some parts was the first thing I noticed. The other was the guitars walking over each other. Try using less distortion and rolling off some low end. Other than that, nice composition and playing.Vox would be nice.

Everybody pretty much hit it on the head what needs to be done on the mix. You, however have a good idea how your piece should sound like, being from that particular genre.

But I would like to comment on the band though. Pretty tight and good memory on the movements. Good job!

Thanks Tony!

Always like to hear positive things about what we are doing musically. I'm gonna try to find time tonight to remix and i'll post the link again when i do.. i'll try out a lot of the suggestions.

jay.

Back