Listen, guess and rate - a microphone test

So, now the truth can be told...
You can download three audio files (male Vocals, 24bit, mono, ca 3 mb each) recorded with three different mics (hint: they are all under 1000$). Then listen and compare the quality and rate. Then guess wich mics they could be. Then post your list in this (or similar) form:

Gold: filename(.wav) - <name of the mic you think it is>
Silver: filename(.wav) - <name of the mic you think it is>
Bronze: filename(.wav) - <name of the mic you think it is>

for example:
Gold: micD - AKG C3000B <-- this one is not in the act!
You can write down some alternative names of the mics.

In a few days i will post the real names of these microphones!!!

I hope you enjoy it and don't be afraid to betray your favorite mic;-)

And here it comes:
micA
micB
micC

p.s. It's not my voice, i just "lent" this files...

Why should I?

I have no way of knowing how accurate each mic was set up, no guarantee that either my soundcard or my speakers will faithfully reproduce the recorded sound, no way.............well you get the gist.

I mean, I'm sittin' here on the Group W bench and you want me to d/load some audio and guess what mic was used...........NO FUCKIN' WAY!!!!! I'm could accidently mistake a V-67G for a U87 or something worse.

Sorry, but NO.

:cool:

Your files won't play on my system for some reason.

It would be much more relevant if this were multiple choice. There are a lot of mics out there, and a lot of them sound similar, or fall in to a particular "category." Asking someone to just name a mic out of the blue like that is kind of iffy. It's not something that can reasonably be done, even by the goldest of golden ears.

Oh, Me First!!!!!

Gold: Mic C - definitely the RadioShack 33-3027, the tantalizing airy highs and the smooth lulling bases gives this away

Silver: Mic A - Radioshack 33-3004 - the slight increase in the midrange gives it that nice warm boost to vocals

Bronze: Mic B - Most likely the Radioshack 33-3025, although not a popular contender (probably because it's *overlooked* as a "tabletop computer mic" only, although she stands well without a computer) in most people's mic racks, it is definitely not to be overlooked, especially in the most "bang for your buck" category.

All of these sweet babies can be found here:

http://www.radioshack.com/category....ame=FLYER_002_003_005_000&Page=1&bOnSale=true

I know I *definitely* have the first two right but could you fill me in the third one. Now that I listen to it again, it could be a 33-3030.

;)

On the more serious side, what ausrock said is right. There's no way you can tell, there are just too many factors involved (not just equipment, but mic placement and room construction too). You could easily make a sweet-ass Neuman sound like your grandma's ass after a mexican meal if you hooked it up to the wrong stuff or stuck it into the wrong room, etc.

I know you mean well, and I thank you for trying, but these kinds of tests are never very legit (as past ones have shown).

-Sal

OK

It was just a try. I knew that nobody can tell, what mics these are (or maybe there is a genius?) among hundreds of possibilities.
But what about seentences like "this is a typical rode sound" or "this must be a neumann" or "it's so bad, must be AKG" or...
But when you listen to a track, no one can tell "it was recorded with a neumann, i hear it"! So what's the differance? Can I record with a 200$ microphone and be a pro? I seams to be true.
If you know which microphone it was, then it's easy to say "oh yes, typically XY" or "you can hear, that it is a 4000$ mic" or...

Maybe some of you could try just to say, which track/microphone sounds best and worst? (They all are recorded under the same circumstances.)

p.s. These files are 24bit, so maybe not every system can play them...(or you have to switch something)

Re: OK

hauT said:
But what about seentences like "this is a typical rode sound" or "this must be a neumann" or "it's so bad, must be AKG" or...

Alright, why don't I record the sound of my car starting up, and I'll give you 50 bucks if you can name the model. :) I'll make it easy on you, and you can tell me whether it has that "Chevrolet" or "Toyota" sound to it. I think you're missing the point -- there are so many different models that Shure makes, for example, and they all sound different. Not to mention that a lot of the Shures share some similarities with Audio Technicas and so on. And you can't say that AKG's sound crappy just because one out of a hundred of their models does.

You're not too bright are you.

Oh my god. Not that voice again ! ! ! !

Isn't this the same damn mic shootout that was posted here like 10 years ago? I've heard that god-awful Boys-to-Men Wannabe voice ringing in my head over and over from the last time I listened to those worthless clips.

Please tell me I'm not having flashbacks ! ! ! ! Aaaaaghhhh ! ! !

And what IS it with that finger snapping on mic A ? ! ! Thanks a lot for your spamapalooza, there, guy. I forgot what cheapo company it is you're spamming for. Starts with an "N," if I recall.

I am proud of you guys..:D You are all finally getting it, which means we have done some good... ;)

Keep up the good work

Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group

Could this be FT lurking in the Microphone forum.

Get this Hes just doing this so we would download songs off of this site and he will have the most hits on that site.

Did anyone notice that he only had 5 posts, obviously another FT alias.

You are so funny...
I don't work for anyone else, so please stop thinking about conspiracy. I just wanted to see how much truth is behind the whole thing. I see now that there are differences between microphones, but I can achieve very good results with nearly every microphone (or not?).
OK, I am new to this bbs. I first searched for such a mic test, but did not find anything. Sorry, when I just wasted your time...

p.s. ...and what is FT?

hauT-

I think some of the guys are being a little paranoid about the FT thing ;) Don't take them too seriously, it's good to have you aboard.

I'm no pro myself, but I agree with you about the expensive mic thing. Say you pay 2 grand for a neumann and 200 bucks for a C1 or something, the Neumann isn't going to be 10 times better, it'll be better, but not that much better (not to say that there aren't some really bad mics out there that would be 10 times worse!).

For the most part, the people that can actually tell the difference make up less than 1% of your listening population, and if they are that critical of your music, then who cares about them.

The point is, don't be anal about having the best equipment, get the best for your money (yes there are some good cheap mics out there) spend more of your time actually making music and getting experience.

The big point is, it's not the equipment that makes one a pro, it's what one does with the equipment that make her/him a pro.

-Sal

SalJustSal said:
Say you pay 2 grand for a neumann and 200 bucks for a C1 or something, the Neumann isn't going to be 10 times better, it'll be better, but not that much better (not to say that there aren't some really bad mics out there that would be 10 times worse!).

Actually, this is not necessarly the case, and it does not just go for my C1. It could be any mic for that matter. The Neumann may sound better in a particular room on a specific application that day, but the C1, or other can sound better as well. I think the C1, and "some" others are built every bit as good, or maybe better.

With microphones, it's not about who is better, it is about what works best at the time you need it. There are sonic differences between mics, but each one of them is a tool, so the choice is what tool to use for the job.

Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group

Back