lipstick tubes

a_goodlett

i've been think about gettin a new bridge pickup for my strat and i was lookin around. so i saw this thing called a lipstick tube. it looks like a tele neck pick up. anybody know what these things sound like? i want to get that real high sound like on Led Zeppelin's Communication breakdown and some of their other early stuff, i think Jimmy Page used a tele on that stuff so would i be better off gettin a tele bridge pickup? i dont have a clue. later cats

Get a Tele.

It's hard to make a guitar sound like something it isn't.

Page also used the old danelectro guitars, which typically had 'lipstick' style pickups.

Danelectro is still around, subsiduary of D'addario. No idea what their guitars are like, but they are cheap in $. But they were way back when to! So maybe that's a good thing?

ive got a danelectro and for the price you cant beat it. better than anything in the $350 and below price range. of course thats my opinion :)
as far as sound wise its close to somewhere between the twang of a tele and midrangey of an sg... guess that's the best way to put it. it has a sound all of its own and is worth checking out. my only complsint with mine has been the tuners which are not very reliable after a couple of years of playing....but for the price who cares?

Also, you might wanna consider getting retro-fit lipstick pickups for your strat.

These are being made by e.g. Seymour Duncan or, if you're on a tight budget, WD Music (www.wdmusic.com) and available for each individual position or in matched three-piece sets.

Check out their reviews at Harmony Central, as
most users there seem to be quite happy with their sound.

Keep in mind that their dimensions are reduced from the slightly larger Danelectro originals to fit your existing strat pickup cavities (you will need a custom pickguard though).

Back