Linux (OS, Multi-track, edit) anyone?

Voxpopuli

Awhile back I was looking into setting up a Linux DAW, but worried I might be asking for trouble..so I gave up the idea.

Today I log onto AOL, and see a small article on Linux, and now Im getting even more curious about going the Linux route.

Anyone using Linux, along with these apps?

Ardour (multi-tracking)
Audacity (sound editor)
Hydrogen (drum machine)

Just thought this might be a great time to get into Linux, any thoughts?

Sorry, Im brief..gotta run

Voxpopuli said:

Anyone using Linux, along with these apps?

Ardour (multi-tracking)
Audacity (sound editor)
Hydrogen (drum machine)

Just thought this might be a great time to get into Linux, any thoughts?

Short question, long answer :)

A year ago, even though I've been a linux user for about 6 years now, I would have advised you to wait unless you were pretty familiar with tweaking a linux install. The software just wasn't mature enough.

Now, things are starting to come together, and I've just started to explore setting up a Linux based DAW - again.

So far, things look pretty encouraging. I've started an Ardour project, and have been *very* pleased with the results so far.

That being said, there's things anyone thinking of trying Linux as a base for a DAW needs to be aware of....

Linux is not Windows! (Duh? Isn't that obvious?) Cosmetically it may look and behave similarly, but under the hood it's a different animal entirely. Windows assumes you're a drooling idiot, even if you're the system admin user. Linux assumes the sysadmin knows what they're doing.

While the GUI config tools will handle 99.99% of your needs, for a DAW you will need to hand edit the config files for your sound drivers. It's not hard, and for most consumer and quite a few professional cards, it's simply a matter of cut and paste from the ALSA website, but it 's a little deeper into the internals of the OS than you'd have to go with Windows.

The software you'll be using will be under *constant* development for the most part. This is a given for almost all software in the Linux/OSS world. What this usually means for the user is that bugs get fixed in days, not months - it's a Good Thing.

Documentation isn't complete for a lot of software. You'll need to use mailing lists, newgroups, and web forums to cover the holes

Now, if I haven't scared you off completely, and you want to know more, head on over to http://linux-sound.org/ and see what's available to you.

wow... looks like I've posted the definitive answer!

...or I'm the only person on the BBS that's actively trying out a linux-based DAW.

Moonrider said:

...or I'm the only person on the BBS that's actively trying out a linux-based DAW.

Don't worry, you're not alone. I just switched from W2k & n-Track to Linux & Ardour a few weeks ago and now I don't think I'll ever go back. At first I had a bit of a problem with my RME 9652 sound card but after I compiled the latest ALSA drivers everything's working great now. And now that I have the vstserver compiled and running I can use all the free VST plugins found on the web in Ardour too.

now

yep, linux is now ...and since quite a long time already :)
just a few facts and links :

there is a tremendous amount of open source audio softwares. see www.linux-sound.at for a quasi exhaustive list.
i myself use jmax, rosegarden, ardour, fluidsynth, freqtweak, jack-rack, hydorgen and others. i prefer sweep or snd to audacity for a file editor.
and above all this, there is jack. jack is a real time audio server, which provide a software patchbay between client applications. see http://jackit.sourceforge.net

there is a number of audio oriented linux distribution availabe nowadays. i strongly recommend trying demudi, see www.agnula.org.
curious will want to read http://www.agnula.org/documentation/dp_tutorials/
iinux newbies will want to try this live demo cd : http://devel.demudi.org/images/live/

also, the last kernel major version (2.6.x) is quite a big change for audio users: amongst others, it includes the ALSA audio drivers* and low latency capability (preemptible patch).

*(Moonrider and PeteHalo, this means you can even get rid of hand editing config files now)

Back