Linux Drivers, please help

As an exclusive Linux user, I can tell you that your best option is simply not to buy Line 6 gear. If you want a little USB interface like the TonePort series, look into the M-Audio Fast Track or Tascam US series. If you're looking from something like the Line 6 UX8, spring for an Presonus FirePod or FireStudio, which are supported by the Free Firewire Audio Drivers project (formerly known as FreeBob). I've got to mention also that RME devices are extremely well-supported in the Linux kernel and always have been.

I doubt Line 6 will release a Linux driver, or even help hackers develop an open-source driver by releasing critical information. To me, this is an indication of the sleaziness of a company, and a good reason not to support that company.

As an exclusive Linux user, I can tell you that your best option is simply not to buy Line 6 gear.

Which is just more of the attitude that is keeping linux from being a viable option for more people

If you want a little USB interface like the TonePort series, look into the M-Audio Fast Track or Tascam US series.

So in other words, buy from avid or spend the money for an interface with amazingly high latency

If you're looking from something like the Line 6 UX8, spring for an Presonus FirePod or FireStudio, which are supported by the Free Firewire Audio Drivers project (formerly known as FreeBob).

Freebob is a good option, but not for the firestudio as the firestudio is dice2. Also in this case I need a device I can count on, which wouldnt be a firepod

I've got to mention also that RME devices are extremely well-supported in the Linux kernel and always have been.

No, they aren't. The PCI RME devices are extremely well supported in linux, the firewire ones are not

I doubt Line 6 will release a Linux driver, or even help hackers develop an open-source driver by releasing critical information.

Yeah, it would suck to take five minutes out of your day and add your voice there. May as well give up now, since there are soooo many great devices supported by linux. oh wait

To me, this is an indication of the sleaziness of a company, and a good reason not to support that company.

Yes, because huge chunk of the linux community can't be bothered to do anything but whine about their situation, it is so much easier to call a company sleazy than to give them an idea of how many potential customers they'd have if they ported to linux.

I'm not a Linux hater, I've helped many times with people getting set up with Wine-ASIO and such, but this is so typical of the community its no wonder nothing gets done.

A conspiracy around every corner and general apathy

Back