Linux audio restoration?

Havoc

Since there seem to be more and more linux users out here, I'll ask this over here. What is there for doing audio restoration under linux?

I have tried Audacity and GWC, but neither of them comes close to CEP/AA for flexibility and quality. But I may be missing some well hidden apps.

Havoc said:
Since there seem to be more and more linux users out here, I'll ask this over here. What is there for doing audio restoration under linux?

I have tried Audacity and GWC, but neither of them comes close to CEP/AA for flexibility and quality. But I may be missing some well hidden apps.

What is it that you need to do? I don't know anything about audio restoration. If you list off some things that you need to accomplish I may be able to name some programs though.

For now have a look at Ardour and JamIn. Ardour is an editor that is much more than Audacity and has a lot of plugins. JamIn is a "mastering" program...basically a really sophisticated EQ and filter system. You link audio into JamIn and out to a track or two in ardour and record.

Should have been a bit clearer indeed.

I need noise reduction, both with and without the possibility to use noise samples, declick (automatic and manual, also for large chunks) and decrackle. These are generic names of the processes, but it is what is needed to get things like 78rpm's and old tape into shape again. Being able to draw the waveform again by hand would be appreciated.

So ardour is not the tools for this. Jamin is useful to some extend, but only after the restoration is done.

Havoc said:
Should have been a bit clearer indeed.

I need noise reduction, both with and without the possibility to use noise samples, declick (automatic and manual, also for large chunks) and decrackle. These are generic names of the processes, but it is what is needed to get things like 78rpm's and old tape into shape again. Being able to draw the waveform again by hand would be appreciated.

So ardour is not the tools for this. Jamin is useful to some extend, but only after the restoration is done.

Well, if you have LADSPA compiled in and you have the ladspa-cmt there are quite a few plugins, among them may be declick/decrackle...there are some noise generators I know for sure.

Freshmeat turned up this: http://users.tkk.fi/~phonkane/xforge/ and this: http://gnoise.sourceforge.net/

I don't know if either allows by hand editing of the wave. I'll ask on the linux audio list maybe.

It seems to me that there was one that used TCL/Tk but I haven't found it right off.

There is a list of stuff here that if you use google to hunt for the name some have websites and you can see what you see: http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/apps/sound/editors/!INDEX.html

kwave might be what you are looking for also.

havoc.
i dont know if this might help you.
and ive never used it - but it looks interesting.
there is a product called DART restoration tools from tracertek.com if i remember.
but its for win. maybe its possible to run in linux under emulation ?

manning1 said:
havoc.
i dont know if this might help you.
and ive never used it - but it looks interesting.
there is a product called DART restoration tools from tracertek.com if i remember.
but its for win. maybe its possible to run in linux under emulation ?

Good luck getting it to work with WINE. WINE's difficult enough to get working with mainstream apps, let alone obscure niche products.

If he were to get it working, it would probably perform fairly well, since WINE isn't an emulator (hence the name :D) but rather mimics the Windows API, I do believe.

THat being said, I fought for quite awhile just to get Dreamweaver and Office going. I don't have the balls to try for audio stuff yet.

polaris.
i dont disagree.
but one never knows till one tries.
you never know - he might just luck out, or maybe the dart tech support people know of a way.
it certainly seems to have a lot of functionality.
i too dont see a lot of restoration tech in linux yet.
but it will surely come. peace.

Just checked the ladpsa plug-ins, but there is nothing to denoise/declick/decrackle. I'll have a look at the others mentioned.

CEP1.0 I can get running in Wine, it plays back and works fine with alsa oss-emulation. But the upgrade to CEP1.2a doesn't work due to some graphics problem. Never tried DartPro32 with Wine, but I do have used it with W98. I remember it was a pain to setup with W2K and that drove me to CEP. So I have the disk around...somewhere. Only thing is that it is limited to 16bit and a bit of a painful interface.

Just installed DartPro32 under Wine. It installs fine, and it even starts. But it closes itself after about 20sec without any error mesage. If you click or move the mouse it closes faster. No luck I guess.

Audacity has a pencil tool. It makes you zoom in until you see individual samples and then you can move them. So far that is the only suggestion comming from the lau list.

Back