linking two computers

kaliyuga

is it possible to link two computers ,, I have a Pc with a m-audio delta 66 with omni soundcard and a mac g4 with m-audio audiophile 2496 soundcard. I want to send audio (guitar and voice) to the mac, the audiophile can't do audio, I use the omni into the delta 66 . could I use SPDIF ? or what?

why can't the audiophile do audio?

you can use the analog or spdif connections but you might as well just transfer the audio tracks to the other machine. wait, it can't do audio? wtf are you talking about? :D

I want the option to record voice or guitar live into the mac, but can't do that with the audiophile so I want to know how can i go through the omni preamp, into the delta (which is connected to the pc) through to the mac,

I want the option to record live into the mac because I have different software, instruments and so on on the different computers, I 'd rather not transfer tracks because I work better live.

I hope that is not too hard to understand, its all a bit confusing for me.

If both the cards have SPDIF then you can use SPDIF but it will only be two tracks, not sure if your trying to record more then two tracks at a time?

I think what this guy is trying to do is use one computer as a source and another as a recorder. I believe I read somewhere about a virtual audio cable that works through network (LAN) but I dont know the details since I've never had the need but that might work for you also.

the only way to do that would be to record the signal into the one computer that doesnt do audio (???) and then set the outputs to s/pdif, connect the two s/pdif's together, set the other computer to record, and play back on the first computer.

or just plug the guitar into the mac, is it me or would that be the same thing? how can it not do audio? eithers its the analog guitar/mic signal or its the digital s/pdif signal.

if its a card thats busted, why not just switch cards?

I think what he's trying to say is that he doesn't have a preamp to use with the Audiophile. The easiest thing to do would be buy a new preamp for the mac, or record on the PC. What's so great about the mac that makes you desperate to record to it?

Back