Linking 20-bit & 16-bit ADATs

Cornelius Bakka

If an older 16-bit ADAT deck is used in any part of the chain (let's say you have 7 of these newer 20-bit ADATs and this one older 16-bit ADAT optically linked together for 64 tracks total) does the *whole* chain drop down to the "legacy" recording mode as the one 16-bit ADAT in the chain?

Would adding a BRC make any difference in forcing each deck to record at its highest level, as in the 7 20-bit ADATs recording in 20-bit mode and the one 16-bit ADAT in its normal 16-bit legacy mode?

All Type 1 and 2 ADAT's can be used together.

As far as optical, I don't think that you can bounce tracks digitally without dropping down to the lowest bit resolution. It is an interesting question that I am sure the techs at Alesis can address. I would research this for you (mostly for my own knowledge, but work has me going way too many hours until December.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Ed

If I remember right, you can play the 16 bit tapes on the 20 bit machines by telling the Type II machine to go to Type I setting. But you cannot play the 20 bit tapes on a 16 bit machine. As far a syncing the machines--no problem. If you use them as seperate tracks in your setup, but I don't know if you can do a digital transfer of a 20 bit tape to a 16 bit recorder. Alesis' tech heads should be able to give the definitive answer. As Ed has said, check out their web site. They have all the manuals in .pdf (adobe) format, free to download.

Peace, Jim

Part "A" of my original post:
-----------------------------
You can definitely play Type 1 tapes on either *standalone* machine for sure, but I was interested mainly in any possible technical glitches is mixing Type 1 and Type 2 machines in a stack. I really want to use the older Type 1 machines for recording tracks that don't really require 20-bits of resolution -- like bass tracks or other low-frequency material -- and buying one or two new Type 2 machines for recording the high-definition tracks. The mixdown would be through an analogue mixing desk.

The proprietary Alesis ADAT syncing is consistant between all ADAT units. You will have no problems using two different types of machines together, except that the type II's tend to sync a bit faster, and they definately rewind and fast forward much faster than type I machines.

Ed

Back