Link Wray dead at 76

Yeah seriously. Link brought rock guitar playing to the modern age. Before him, there were only guys like Chet Adkins, Chuck Berry, and Scotty Moore, all of which were brilliant, but were a little elaborate in some respects. Link only tried to find his own voice and in the process came up with what is now so commonplace. More stripped down, solid, and straightforward. You know...ROCK. And you can pretty much thank him for the bar chord being the number one most important ingredient of rock guitar playing. I got to see him three times over the last ten years or so and I'm glad I did. The things he did in the 50's are so ingrained in the last fifty or so years of rock guitar that it's sometimes hard to realize just how much his playing is responsible for it.

R.I.P.

MadAudio said:
You've heard his music, you just don't realize it. Ever seen "Pulp Fiction?"

"Rumble" is played in the background during the diner scene right before they get up and dance.

You can't miss it. It's the guitar song with the big open chords. He was the first to play like that.

I'm posting like a madman...can't help it...I'm a huge Link fan.

I had never heard of Link Wray until his name popped up in an old song (Neighborhood of Infinity) by the Fall:

The man who's head expanded. knew: a) who stole cafe collection
Box. b) stupid facade behind jurgen. d) who wore a red scarf to
Remind him of his fiancee. e) the love of paris, infects the
Civil service lichen on the north. it was the time of the giant
Moths in the neighborhood of infinity.

I used to have this thing about link wray. I used to play him
Every saturday. God bless saturday! God bless saturday!

We are the fall! in the neighborhood of infinity!
It was the time of the giant moths.
It happens. it happens. instincts lost. it happens. lost
Through purple blossoms. it happens. the desire will turn rotten.
We are the fall! in the neighborhood of infinity!

Back