Lined Ducts Question, Easy one for ya..

gatorhaus

OK I am planning on building my vent. ducts out of lrftover particle board, at least the ones on top od my room. I am planning on snakeing these, probably 8 ft---> 180 degree turn --> 8 ft --> 90 degree turn --> 10ft. Something like that if that makes any sense. I haven't drawn it out but I know in my head how to do it.

1) Is this OK, to use the particle board? I thought it would be better than using regular duct work. Any thoughts?

2) What kind of foam do you guys lined these duct with?

thanks,
larry

Gator, I used this flex duct stuff for mine. It looks like a giant slinky (11"diameter) wrapped in insulation and then plastic. It's totally flexible and it doesn't telegraph noise like rigid duct work.

You are definately going to want to make it slightly "oversize" with those kind of bends. Flex is standard in track homes anymore. Good stuff...cheap. 180 Bends is pretty much pushing that stuff to the limit though. If you have the money, I would get custom metal ducts on isolation mounts (and of course insulated).

I don't think that particle board is going to be in particularly quiet. The rougher the surface, the more air tubulance. Flex duct creates more air turbulance than good metal ducting, but probably much less than particle board. In addition, you will probably experience loss of cooling/heating at that register with the particle board.

But if you are on a serious budget, and trying to work with what you have --

When building your ducts, keep the corners (inside) as rounded as possible (you may want to cut corner radius's from some other wood or material). As far as insulating them, I would tightly wrap them in plastic, or an insulation that has a plastic liner. But keep it tight.

Here's a pic of what I'm thinking, This is looking at the top of my room. This is just the supply ducts.

vent.jpg

Are you going to build all of that from part board?

I assume the main (existing?) trunk is the central round. I guess you are trying to build up back pressure with the bends (essentially slowing air flow)? I have seen others talking about bending and extending like you have there, but I just don't get why....Seems like there are easier ways to get the same result.

Richhead,

The thought of extending and bending is to minimize sound leakage between the rooms. The trunk is not existing, I plan on installing it.

larry

Back