line6 pod

silverstrings

HI!
Right now I'm using a Quadraverb GT going direct into a Mackie.
It's not to bad but I cant get that amp sound. I'm going for that
sound that "Live" gets on their albums. I have read a lot of great reviews on the line6 pod. Has any body got one of these?
Another option would be to buy a good amp and stick my 3035
in front of it. But I think my wife would appreciate if I kept my headphones on

Thanks.

No, no one here has ever used one!

Actually, if you search for Pod using the Search button, you're going to see a ton of stuff. The general consensus is that it's a decent, every usable unit, but it doesn't sound real.

About a third of the responses you will get are from people who own a Pod and really like it. Another third will be recommendations for the Johnson J-Station, the Behringer V-Amp, the Boss Gt-6, the Yamaha DG-Stomp, the SansAmp PSA-1, or the Digitech GenX. The final third will be vitriol from people who can't stand modeling, and they will insist that you buy a cheap (or expensive) tube amp.

Personally, I am in the first third--I use a Pod regularly, and I really dig it. I record a lot with it and I like to be able to play silently at night. But I also record through a tube amp at times. Everything has its place. The other modellers do a fine job too, though I think the Behringer sounds decidely lo-fi and hissy (but that's just my OPINION).

Search and enjoy!

I too am a PODophile...

and I went to it from a Quadraverb GT too... a nice effects box but not quite there for direct recording purposes. I am very satisfied with the POD.

I was going to invest in a POD myself, but after numerous occasions of trying out the POD the J-Station and the V-amp i decided to save my penny's and go with the j-station. It's a great little box, does everything, i would say it is up right next to the POD, but it has a lot less price. You can pick them up for $149!!

Plus the fact that you can d/l patches and cabinets. I would recommend it to any guitar player!

Whatever you do, make sure you try out YOUR guitar with all the possibilities. Cos just trying out a top of the range PRS in the guitar shop aint gonna give you the real feel of when you take it home and use your guitar!

Anyway have fun testing!

aL

The POD is good for dirty sounds but I dont care for the clean tones. The reverbs and delays are a bit noisy but between the POD for modeling and distortion and the Quad for effects should have a pretty good choice of sounds.

If you really want to develop your own signature tone then go with a real amp. If you want to have access to many tones for cover songs and recording then go with the POD.

I just got a pod tonight at gtr center. my first impression with only listening with headphones is there will be enough sounds for me to have it worh keeping. Some seem great,others shit,solid state,imatated. But this ONLY my first impression as I said with a cheap set of cans on my head. Playing out live will tell me the truth. I think I'm going to like it. Hey it has a tuner and a real nice leslie sound at least for 300.00! where ya going for that!

First let me say, guitar is not my main axe. I've played drums and keyboards much longer. However, after working very hard on my guitar chops over the last few years, I came to the conclusion that although I was able to hit the notes I wanted, I couldn't get the tone I wanted.

Lo and behold right around that time the POD came out. I got one and after some work (any new piece of gear requires some work) my recorded guitar tones were much improved. Then the J-Station came down in price so I picked one up (the POD and J-Station do the same thing but provde slightly different tones).

I'm very happy with both units. Do they sound exactly like the amps they claim to model? I don't know, I've never owned those amps - but for a few hundred $$$$ I can get real close to an almost limitless combination of amp/speaker configurations. And I can do it direct, - no noise, no micing.

By the way, I now run the units through an ART Tube MP and it has fattened up the sound. I'm just starting to add a BBE 462, which will soon be part of the guitar set-up.

The POD rocks!

Ok, so some of the amps may not be accurate representations of the originals, but I've never compared, so I'd never know. All the amp models are useable, and can sound great in a mix. That's the great thing about it. You can get just about anything you want out of it if you put the effort in. Some people don't like the clean sounds, but I like 'em, especially if you a add an eq pedal (like the Danelectro one) and a compressor pedal (like a Marshall one) to the chain. The fx are all very useable, but they aren't what the POD was designed for. You'll get better chourses and flangers, but they still do the job.

I'd heartily reccommend one of the little kidney beans :)

Anyone noticed this?

I noticed that the Line 6 models are the best sounding settings on the amp modeller section (Left big black knob)..... I wonder if this is subliminal advertising....

Maybe they sweeten up the Line 6 stuff, so we think that Line 6 amps are the best..

Hmmmmmmm?

IT ALL A BIG CONSPIRACY!!!!:D

I've got a Pod and a Bass Pod, and if it came to it, you'd have to pry them from my cold, dead hands.

I once did an A/B test between the Pod's Tweed Blues model and my Blues Deville, mic'd with a 57. The only difference was that the Pod sounded better recorded!.

I LOVE MY PODS!!

FWIW, I still prefer my SansAmp GT2 over the POD and I prefer my PSA-1 over the GT2. The SansAmp products react to your playing more realistically than the POD. However, the POD has effects, the SansAmps don't. Thus, if you want a good basic tone, get the SansAmp. If you want bells and whistles, get the POD.

Here's a tune or two...using the POD

I use the POD all the time, it's much easier than setting up my live guitar rig everytime I want to lay tracks...and I can usually get the tone I'm looking for...

Anyway, here are some of my results with the POD...

ALL are mp3 downloads:

Muldar's Search-Hi energy fusion. I sequenced all the instruments, except guitar.

Every Time-a tribute to Weather Report with a Tribal Tech vibe. I sequenced all the instruments, except guitar.

I played/recorded a drum solo to which I then played/added a free-form guitar solo.

Me-guitar and drums

Here's a heavier kind of tune I did just for kicks...

No More Mr. Nice Guy-(totally original, NOT the Alice Cooper song...)

And a straight-forward rock instrumental of mine...

White Velvet- kind of Satriani-ish.

Enjoy...

Peace,

Scott Jones

Scott,

Damn your server's slow.

Excellent playing/shredding/wanking! :cool: Your style makes the POD sound good.

Back