Line Out from Guitar Head?

rozsand

Well, until my DI box comes in the mail, I need a way to record my guitar. And by record, I mean record direct... as cheaply as possible. :rolleyes:

Ok, so here's my newest idea (tell me whether it's horrible or not)...

Guitar --> Randall RH100 Head --> Line out from RH100 --> DAW

Once I get my DI Box (a Behringer GI100 Ultra G) I plan on running the signal...

Guitar --> RH100 Head --> Either Line Out or Preamp Out from RH100 (not sure) --> Behringer GI100 (w/ cab sim on) --> Balanced XLR Out from GI100 --> DAW

Good ideas? Bad ideas? Thanks! :)

~ Nate the N00b

The only thing you need the direct box for is the cabinet simulator. An instrument cable from the line out of the head to the line in on you daw will work. It will just sound like crap without the cabinet simulator.

What about using the Line Out versus the Preamp Out from the head? The Behringer DI Box will accept an external speaker signal... I don't know whether that'd work better than line out (or heck, even if it'd accept line level... but I can't see why not).

If that is not a tube head, They all should be the same thing just at different levels. preamp out is meant to drive another head, line out is meant to drive a cab simulator or go direct into the board, and you know what the speaker out is for. Thre is no point to using the speaker output, you will have to turn the amp down anyway. (the DI wasn't meant to turn 100 watts onto a line level signal.)

rozsand said:
What about using the Line Out versus the Preamp Out from the head?

I looked at the manual which consists of only a labeled picture and some warnings (much like a manual for a chainsaw) and it doesn't show any preamp out - just a line out. Can you describe this preamp out? Is it XLR? Is there a level knob on either? Randall's VMax has a built-in cabinet simulator with an xlr output is the reason I ask.

You want to run your line out to the GI100.

SuperSkyrocket said:
Can you describe this preamp out? Is it XLR? Is there a level knob on either?

Errr... if I said "preamp out" I misspoke (wasn't aware there even was such a thing). It's just a 1/4" power amp out... for driving a cab. The Behringer basically can pad the signal all the way down to mic level... which is good I guess if your amp doesn't have a line out.

I learned more than I wanted about Randall amp heads. Yeah, a line out and preamp out describe the same thing really - they are both line level.

I would use the line out but you might get a different sound with the "power padding" feature. I wonder if the DI gets warmer. That energy has to go somewhere. You may need to use one or both of the attenuators located on the output side of the DI. In fact, you should push these in before plugging the XLR in or turning on phantom power for the DI *ALWAYS* (or you may get a big POP) and then de-attenuate as needed.

If you use the speaker out, you have to turn the amp way down. That di won't get warmer, it will just saturate the transformer if you give it too much. In this case that would sound bad.

Back