Line level recording issues

fris9

I'm having trouble with overheads being too hot when recording. I'm using a Firewire 1814 interface and 2 ADK Sc-1's powered by an M-Audio DMP3 pre. As I stated, I'm running these into the line level inputs with the gain all the way down on the pre, yet the levels are still clipping. Any ideas as to why this is?

FYI.....The M-Audio Pre has a "hi' and 'lo' gain setting on each channel, both are set to low. Basically the meters are barely moving on the pre but hot as hell going into Pro Tools.

The Firewire 1814 line inputs are setup for -10dBV which is consumer line level. Your DMP puts out a +4dBu signal which is pro line level. Something like an Ebtech Line Level Shifter might make it easier to use the DMP with the 1814.

Ok, thanks. A few questions, if you don't mind. If i were to take the mics into the XLRs in front instead, I'm assuming that would fix the problem, yes? In your opinion, do you think the built-in pre's of the 1814 would be worse than going through the M-Audio pre's? Lastly, if I were to go the Line Shifter route, I'm assuming the chain would be mic-pre-line shifter-1814? Much appreciated!

The built in preamps shouldn't have that problem with mismatched levels. I don't know specifically about your preamps but I wouldn't think they're drastically different in quality. Yes, mic -> preamp -> line level shifter -> 1814.

Back