Line 6 ux2 for guitar amp recording ?

Aris17561

Hello everyone . It is my first post so hello and nice to discuss with you . I am a guitar layer who trying to make my on songs . I rec my guitars with my amp and vst but even though vst makes my life easier , I would like to have a better result with my amp . Unfortunately I cannot make a good sound with my sm57 and my cab , so I wonder if the problem is on the audio interface . What do you think ? Is the line 6 good for an amp recording ?

Hi,
It's unlikely that the interface is the problem.

Micing an amp is really just about getting a good sound in the room and putting a mic in front of it.
I know it sounds simplistic, but it really is, or should be, that simple.

You could raise the amp up of the floor or angle it upwards so you can really hear what's happening.
A common issue is thin weak sounding guitars if you have the amp gain too high. Maybe experiment with pulling that back, if appropriate?

Maybe you could post up a clip to let us hear what you're getting?

The more likely explanation is that you don't know how to record an amp with a microphone to get a decent sound or that you're not using the interface correctly.

I have tried many - many - many different ways of recording my amp , so I think that mistakes are being eliminated . I do not think I am a guru but I have tried 10000000of different di stances of the mic , 1000000 places , near the cone , in front of the cone , on the edge , 45 angle , off axis etc ... The result is the same ... Small sound lacks of low end and and not a big sound . I do not use so much gain ... I tweak my amp in a way that sound best if I put my ear In front of one speaker of my cabinet ... I cannot upload a URL cause I Haven't reach 10 posts !!! Aris koskinas is my channel in YouTube if you have time to check !!!

What kind of sound are you looking to create, and what kind of Line 6 Amp is it, and what kind of guitar? SM57 into any decent interface should be plenty capable as long as the sound coming from the amp is right and you record it right. One important thing to know when recording guitars is that you almost always one to record with lower gain in your guitar tone than you think you need. Over time, you may come to play with lower gain all the time. I know I have. I think it's kinda like how your voice sounds different when you record it than you think it does. Same thing with guitar, it really sounds more distorted/overdriven than you think it does while your playing. So, first thing I'd suggest is tweak down the gain on your amp a notch. If it's a tube amp, turn UP the volume at the same time. Set your levels right and have a go. Mic placement is important, not in the sense that there's a right or a wrong, but in the sense that it really matters. Draw yourself a little map with you amp as box, and draw the speaker. Now mark various mic placements and record a few seconds of each one. Listen back and see which ones you like. Experiment with distance from speaker, placement of mic tip across the speaker face, and angle of mic to speaker grille (very different pointed straight into the center of the cone 2 inches off the grille versus six inches away at a 45 degree angle about an inch in from the speaker rim.) FWIW, that last is my generally preferred mic location. Pointed toward the center of cone, but positioned with the mic tip about 6" from the grille and about an inch in from the edge of the speaker. Final point.... experiment with how your amp sits in the room. An amp sitting against the wall, on the floor in the corner of the room will sound different than an amp sitting 18" or so off the wall up on a chair (or amp stand away from the corner. A lot of people will tell you that you have to be in a "good" room to get a good sound. That's not my experience. I'm sure it would help (I wouldn't know!) but I've recorded guitars in lots of different rooms, none of which were particularly "good". As long as you keep the mic fairly close to the amp, you can get a good sound... presuming that is, that the amp is making a good sound. :)

J

oops... I didn't see your last post... Sounds like you've played with most of what I suggested. Comes back then, perhaps, to what sound you are trying to get, and whether your guitar and amp are capable of producing it. A lot of people say, "I like my tone, I just want it to sound like that." Recording has taught me that there's a lot of psychology in that process. If you have a decent mic (SM57 is plenty decent for micing a guitar cab) and a halfway decent interface, and you set the levels right, your going to get an accurate representation of what your amp sounds like at that spot pointing in that direction. Maybe try picking the best mic placement you can find and then try adjusting you amp settings based on the sound you get on your recording rather than on what you hear in the room? I don't know. Just a thought.

Good luck...
J

I have a Marshall jvm and I push it with the volume around 3 which is a very high volume for a 50 watt amp !!! I do not put lot of gain . Around 3-4 only . I still take a better result with vst . I do not want tale the best result with the first take . But the sound still is fizzy , small , and very different than the sound I listen from the cab . So you believe that it is not a matter of the interface ? Line6 ux2 ? The preamps of ux2 are ok ? I planned to buy a focusrite scarlet 2i2 with the thought that it will solve my problem ...

Guitar Amp Recording

^Probably the best dissertation on recording electric guitar ever done.
Other ideas are:...Check the sound on headphones, best if someone else plays the guitar or...Reamp a DI'ed recording.
SM57s hardly ever go wrong but it IS possible you have a duff one. How does it sound on voices? Even cheapest ***t "kairoke" dynamic should make passable job of a guitar cab!

Dave.

Ok... you've got a plenty nice Amp. Presuming levels are good in you DAW, maybe you do have an equipment problem. One crazy thought. I don't know your line 6 interface, does it have a single level control or a trim / fader setup. (Same thing could happen if you have any kind of preamp or mixer between the mic and the interface.) Makes sure neither is out of it's range. My approach is to put the fader at 0 dB and then adjust trim to get my level about right and then make any teeny level tweaks from there with the fader. I'm guessing this is totally irrelevant because you havent mentioned any other components in your signal chain. I'm just trying to think of anything I've seen before that would give result like you're experiencing. Do you have a friend who might have another mic you could borrow, (or an interface?) just to check that out before you have to start buying stuff. Maybe a local music store would let you buy something and return it if it doesn't fix your problem...

Good luck with it. I know how frustrating it can be to do everything your supposed to do and still not get what you're looking for...

J

Extremely unlikely. The different between preamps is going to be negligible.
Just to check, you're using an XLR to XLR cable right?

Yes I am using a xlr - xlr .

watch?v=SifwFhrmQYQ

Check that link. It is a youtube link. Go to youtube and paste that link after the / in the browser

Back