Line 6 AX2

musicsdarkangel

I'm trying to get descent recorded sound out of it.

Any tips on this? I use a shure sm57, and my guitar is an Ibanez S470 with a Bill Lawrence XL500 pickup in it (very high output, but not quite active).

If anyone has any good heavy metal channels, please share your presets, and I'll do the same if you'd like.

How should I go about micing?

Well, I can offer you a couple little bits of advice which are:

1. Don't put the microphone too close to the speaker of your amp, because it will sound terrible, but if you put it too far away it will sound worse. I find that putting it about 3-4 inches from the amp, angled a little bit downwards towards the center of the speaker works best for me.

2. It's pretty easy to get an acceptable "metal" sound out of most amps with distortion. You will want to turn the tone knobs of your guitar all the way up, the distortion on your amp all the way up, but if your amp has knobs for controlling the lows, mids, highs, then turn highs and lows up to full and mids down to nothing. I hardly ever play metal, though, so I'm no expert, but this has worked for me in the past.

Thanks for the advice both of you, much appreciated.

I don't know about scooping the mids though, it sometimes comes out awfully muddy.

Back