limiting and multipressing output during mix?

RobbieD

Hey guys i just had a question, whenver i mix a song and get it the way i want it to be as best i can, i make sure all the levels are good bla bla bla and then i go to master it in another project, after i multipress and limit it, it sounds louder but i feel like it doesnt copy the mix that i made, fi that makes any sense, meaning the levels will go off, the vocals will be too low, or somehitng else.. so my quesiton is... is after i mix it to the best of my abilitly, on the output during the mix, am i allowed to multipress and limit it and then fix levels again to make it sound right? is this wat professionals do, thanks...

Professionals apply multi-band compression when there's a specific need for it, not "just because". What specific problem are you trying to fix with multi-band compression?

Professionals apply multi-band compression when there's a specific need for it, not "just because". What specific problem are you trying to fix with multi-band compression?
I swear, you'd think from reading the marketing hype that using maul-the-band compression on a project during mastering is as typical as breathing during mastering.

For the record, I actually used a maul-the-band on a mix a few weeks ago (for the first time in probably six months since something was screwed up enough to warrant it). Then I asked the engineer for a remix.

Here's a tip for the O.P. -- Maul-the-band compression, BY DEFINITION, compresses INDIVIDUAL FREQUENCY BANDS. And then people wonder why their mixes don't sound anything like they did before.

Back