limiter and compressor help

darrvid

I've decided a compressor would be a good investment for my tiny studio. Sounds like the RNC is hands down what I'd want to get. From what I know on this, it can also be used as a limiter, right? But, is it suggested to run a limiter and a compressor in the chain? If so, what kind of limiter would you all suggest? Buying 2 RNC's kinda seems like an expensive way to get a limiter...

Buying two RNC's won't solve your compressor/limiter problem because the maximum ratio on the RNC is 25:1 --- not enough for true limiting.

My advice - get one RNC and use it both as a track compressor AND as a limiter until you can afford a real limiter. The way you would achieve this is to re-record tracks that need compression thru the RNC to empty tracks, then put it between your recorder and whatever mixdown medium you are using with the ratio up and the threshold too.

You'll need to use your ear, but it should be pretty obvious when you're using too much limiting -- and be sure it's in 'super nice' mode for limiting your mix...

Ok, so let me see if I understand that correctly, as I'm just starting to brush up on dynamic processors...

My main use for the RNC would be for vocals, so this would be my original signal chain:
vox->mic->rnc w/ low ratio->cubase track

Then, re-record the track with this chain
cubase track->rnc w/ slightly higher ratio (if needed?)->new cubase track

then, is a limiter done on a track level, or on the entire mix?
new cubase track->rnc w/ high ratio->newest cubase track
or
all cubase tracks->rnc w/ high ratio->mixdown stereo track

I feel I missed something in your post, but did I get any of that correct?

Another option is to get a UAD-1 card and add their Precision Limiter. This is a brickwall limiter that works real well. At the moment they've got a special 15% discount on - you can get the limiter for around $170

darrvid said:
My main use for the RNC would be for vocals, so this would be my original signal chain:
vox->mic->rnc w/ low ratio->cubase track
Yeah, but not necessarily 'low ratio'.

The amount of compression depends on both the ratio and the threshold, so balance both of those so that the lower level parts of the vocal perfomance pass thru the RNC unaffected and the higher level parts get lightly squished.

If what you wind up with after this mild compression on the input side is a smooth enough vocal for you to mix easily, you're done. If there are still parts of the vocal that pop out level-wise, one of the Cubase soft compressors may just do the job of smoothing it out. Again, don't over do it and leave the softer parts unaffected.

Last, render your mix to a wav and put the results thru the RNC in 'Super Nice' mode with it hitting on the peaks only. The way I did this for years was to play the file in a freeware program called Audacity --- LINK --- then recorded the results onto two tracks of my sequencer. The goal here is to get as loud a master recording as you can without squashing the life out of the song.

Back