Limeters

goat_reserves

WHats a good resonibly priced limeter? say 100-300 dollors, if thats at all posible. If not, just something well priced. THanks! Sorry if I spelled a bunch of stuff wrong!

I second that Behringer Composer Pro. Nicely built and does a whole lot, for under $100.00

You can't come close to that in the $ range. Next step would be FMR Audio's Really Nice Compressor.... or DBX 266XL.

Just my personal preferences.

Bowisc

Right. A limeter is a small rodent like critter that throws itself into the ocean and...wait......never mind.

Def'ly the Composer Pro!! For some inexplicable reason, Behringer
got it half right with the design & production of this over-all, decent comp!

Behringer Composer 2100

goat_reserves - I have one for sale for $85

Behringer Composer 2100 -Limiter/Compressor in good cond.
smoke free unit. I dont use it since my HHB Classic 60 arrived

This may be a dumb question, but how do you set the limiter on this unit? The reason I'm asking is because I'm going to be setting up a PA (and recording) a live outdoor choral concert on the 4th of July. The music piece is quite dynamic, with some very soft parts and some very loud parts, so I assume I'll need to have a limiter/compressor that will hold everything down. Any setting suggestions for this puppy?

i like my composer too

Blue Bear,

does the RNC have a dedicated limiter???
I know you can et a compressor to limit but just wondering.

I must say that the only even remotely negative thing that i have ever heard of read about the RNC is that it was so transparent that the person couldn't tell how much he was compressing.

Everything else says the RNC is hands down the best bang for buck unit out there.

Octoruss

...I have benn spending the last two weeks "woodshedding" with my mics and
have also been getting the hang of my Composer unit and I learned how to set the limiter.

Its amazing how sometimes you can read and listen to people explain and watch but certain things just dont CLICK until you are turning a knob and hearing a change and ....WHAM....

epiphany.

the limiter works in cohoots with the make up gain ( on the composer pro).

Say you have a average strength signal going through the compressor then to disk(or tape).
Now say the signal out of the compressor is only pushing the meters on the recording deck to -12. you want to be at -3 or almost 0 (on a disk).

Now.... you can turn up the source which may or may not drive the compressor harder (maybe good/maybe bad)...
..or increasse the makeup gain on the other end of the compressor.

NOW if the limiter is set to say 12 o'clock (arbitrarily) and the recorder is reading -12 then increasing the limiter thresh hold
(going to 3 o'clock) will open up the meters to say -3, pushing closer to 0.

nNo matter how much gain you add in front of the limiter (this limiter is a "brick wall" type I've gathered) the meters on the recording deck will now not go past -3.

However if you really crank the signal gain HITTING the limiter then you will get distortion because you have a very strong dynamic signal clipped to a limited dynamic (volume).
I believe this is called DISTRESSING the signal.

It can sound pretty cool.

I am sure that one of the more experienced folks like Blue Bear or Gidge could explain it better but thats my take.

If I am not explaining that right please spank me.

.....I mean correct me.

Like I said I like the Composer Pro but I dont think it is in my limited :0 experience all that transparent.

I can see where something like the RNC, which is very invisible would appeal to me though, because I am finding that I really like the sound of my ECM8000 mics, which are very flat.

Hey Goat-Reserves, you wern't looking for JUST a limiter, were you?

-mike

Behringer

Have 3 of these that have never been used (came in bundle of equiptment I purchased from another studio).

100.00 each or all 3 for 90.00 each.

Will split shipping.

David

813-264-0105

Re: Behringer

David Artis said:
Have 3 of these that have never been used (came in bundle of equiptment I purchased from another studio).

100.00 each or all 3 for 90.00 each.

Will split shipping.

David

813-264-0105

You can get all 3 wayyyy cheaper than that on e-bay or from me!!!
Ya' gotta' lower your prices home-boy!!!

Mr.Q

Def'ly the Composer Pro!! For some inexplicable reason, Behringer
got it half right with the design & production of this over-all, decent comp!

The real fact is that Drawmer got the design right and Behringer copied it, thats another reason why this compressor does impress alot of people.

Back