Lil Brotha v2

aight hea we go...

it sound to me like you readin off a page...... u need to practice your verses more to the point where u dayum near kno um by heart....... after that relax more behind the mic.... sounds like u stressin to hard imo...

lyrically i like this joint tho.. u spittin some shit for real.... the story tellin and shit remind me kinda of some old ice cube shit.... and that beat is tuff as fuck....

overall gkeep workin at it u did a good job and u gettin better......

I agree with Fyre on this one, it does sound like you're reading it off paper. I think the second mix is louder, but both of them need a LOT of work homie. Sounds like you're using excessive reverb and you may be recording them too hot. I recommend recording low so that you have more room to boost the volume when you mixdown. If you're using heavy reverb, stop that nephew. People throw a shitload of effects on their vocals when 99.9% of the time it doesn't really need it.

As for the content itself, the hook could use a little work, and the verses could streamline just a little bit more (try to kill some of those pauses you have in them)...you don't have to rap fast to fill it up...not suggesting that. Just try to kill those pauses and put a little more feeling into what you're saying. The message is out there but it should be emphasized a little more.

Oh one more piece of advice homie. When you have your papers there, play the beat around and work on the verse without recording it so you have a general idea on how you want it to sound before you actually record it. Makes shit a lot easier. I typically do this as I'm writing the verses but some people need to hear the beat to do that.

Keep pushin it homie,
Fiev

yea addin to what Fiev said....... for me when im writting i normally go back like every 4 bars and like practice what Ive done so far.......

so after I write 4 ill read thru it a few times make sure the flow right....... then after 8 do the same...... again at 12 then at 16 i got over it a few times...... basically what this does is by the time i get to the end the first 8 - 12 bars are cake dayum near locked to memory and i just gotta get thru the ending.... oh and i dont kno if this is everyone but for me unless im tryin something way different like spittin fast..... i dont do any punchins..... if i dont get the whole performance right I do it over again I think it helps me wit my flow and consistency of the verses... hell sometime ill do all three verses one track in one take then do the doubles and adlibs the same and just split um from there.....

yea addin to what Fiev said....... for me when im writting i normally go back like every 4 bars and like practice what Ive done so far.......

so after I write 4 ill read thru it a few times make sure the flow right....... then after 8 do the same...... again at 12 then at 16 i got over it a few times...... basically what this does is by the time i get to the end the first 8 - 12 bars are cake dayum near locked to memory and i just gotta get thru the ending.... oh and i dont kno if this is everyone but for me unless im tryin something way different like spittin fast..... i dont do any punchins..... if i dont get the whole performance right I do it over again I think it helps me wit my flow and consistency of the verses... hell sometime ill do all three verses one track in one take then do the doubles and adlibs the same and just split um from there.....

I will scrap a verse if I even make one mistake in it. Verses are typically no longer than a minute unless you're doin 100 bars an' runnin type shit. I won't sit there and record the whole song on one take though lol. I don't do punchins either. Even when spittin fast, if I don't get it right on the take then I start over again....usually I've started over so much that by the time I nail it, I've got it. I use the words on paper to help me out, but listening to it, you couldn't tell. That's just how I learned though. If you read off the paper, you have to sound like you're not. If you can do that then by all means use the paper. If you can't, keep working on it until you can....even if it means 50 takes.

when i say i record the whole song in one take its just me bein lazy lol.... ill do the first verse then break for the chorus and go into the second and so on that way i aint gotta come from behind the mic and shit seein as i run my own session.....

GOT IT SPINNIN...........

hmm....first verse, lost the flow just a couple times. I enjoyed the lyrics. I like when dudes aint afraid to show dept.

Yea sometimes you lost the flow, in the way you were trying to say the words.

sound quality is a different flavor, i'd call it. It's not so bad where it changes anything for me at all.....it actually grew on me.

2nd verse you stumbled over words at a point.....

the hook....hm....it grew on me and i dig it. peace man!

when i say i record the whole song in one take its just me bein lazy lol.... ill do the first verse then break for the chorus and go into the second and so on that way i aint gotta come from behind the mic and shit seein as i run my own session.....

One of these days I'm gonna show the wife how to run the controls so I can just stand back and record my verses and then go back to the controls to mix later.

Back