lighting...

BRIGGS

does anyone have any good ideas on how to create ambience for inspiration in their studio?

I use lighting for my science fiction, psycedelic type moods

I have black light and led rgb wall washing units.

I have also been thinking of a simple track lighting system and maybe mirrors???

I like to space out.

but I also like the warm homey type feel.

maybe some oversized couches. And some warm colored lamps.

Briggs

Some of the less expensive club lights are very cool. You can find them at pssl.com or musiciansfriend or wherever.
I have an American DJ "H2O" light that is kick ass for mood lighting. It can fill the whole ceiling with color changing cascading water patterns. Sounds right up your alley... It's very relaxing.

does anyone have any good ideas on how to create ambience for inspiration in their studio?

Track lighting is dirt cheap, easy to install, and replacement parts are available everywhere.

Since most DMX light controllers are 120V, and midi controlled, you could set up a bunch of track lights, wire them to the DMX light controller (Behringer has one that streets below $200) and you could have your tracklights go with the music.

If you want more radical and less ambience, you can install a "shelf" around the perimeter of the room, install 4' blacklights in flourescent single-bulb fixtures on top of the shelf facing up, and put a faceboard on them. Then paint the trim around your room weird colors that look good under blacklights.

All sorts of stuff you can do.

Subtractor had some good suggestions as well. Personally, I prefer a little less light and nothing flashing or strange, so my eyes aren't distracted from the work I'm doing.

But stay away from most Dimmers they create sound noise if there hooked into the same wireing as any of your outlets.
I am not sure if it effects the gear other wise.

now Light - there's no room for lighting geeks in a control room ;) unless you know how to make coffee :D

I agree with frederic - keep it simple - A couple or three variac transformers over you main lighting circuits can give you all you want - but it's expensive, like you said ;)

cheers
john

John Sayers said:
now Light - there's no room for lighting geeks in a control room ;) unless you know how to make coffee :D

Well, I started life as a studio guy, and when I got sick of the corprate shit, I sort of fell into lighting. There are only so many times you can hear some corporate dick say, "That sounds great, it won't offend anyone." That is NOT my criteria of what makes a great record.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

he he he - the best one I heard was when the corporate dick said -

"does it sound expensive?" :D

cheers
john

John Sayers said:
he he he - the best one I heard was when the corporate dick said -

"does it sound expensive?" :D

cheers
john

A major corporation here holds its annual executive meetings in one of out local arenas, (they have naming rights there). Last year, their earnings where WAY down, and they had just laid off thousands of employees. A friend of mine was the LD. This is a huge, quarter million dollar show. When he met with the client, they said, "The budget is bigger than last year, but try and make it look cheap. Some of these people will be losing their jobs soon."

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

they said, "The budget is bigger than last year, but try and make it look cheap. Some of these people will be losing their jobs soon."

Where I work we seem to prefer to downsize in small increments, rather than having a much needed 15,000 person layoff.

So, we've been playing "reorg of the month", having four in the last six months.

I survive each one only because I duct taped my ass to the desk. They don't have any knifes, you see, they ran out from stabbing employees in the head :)

That ColorKinetics stuff looks an awful lot like some stuff I've been working with from a company called Syair that makes LED lighting products for aircraft. Almost too similar to be a coincidence, I think...

Back