LIES....new track. Need a bass check

yorgo

https://soundcloud.com/fernando-t-5/lies UPDATED This is the final version. Thanks to all the great comments!

Hey I'm pretty happy with mix except for the bass sound. I'm not sure anymore. I tried a new plugin CLA bass and just used the SUB function to give it a little more girth. What do you guys think?
Thanks

Last edited:
Wow. or should I say, WOW!

Vocals need just a bit through the first chorus. After that, pretty amazing.
Bass line has good bottom, but when the notes go up the volume goes away.
Great guitar tones.
Well done!

Sounds like a good song and performance, but at present it is painful to listen to. I could only take 30 seconds of it. It's severely overcompressed with a buildup of upper mid frequencies that's like chewing on a big wad of tinfoil. Roll it back to the raw tracks and start again.

Wow. or should I say, WOW!

Vocals need just a bit through the first chorus. After that, pretty amazing.
Bass line has good bottom, but when the notes go up the volume goes away.
Great guitar tones.
Well done!

Thank you!!!! I think you're right... I'll have to ride the fader. Definitely see what you're saying in the prechorus where I go up to the D(5th fret)....the bottom falls out for that section. I've heard the song 500 times by now and those little nuances are the ones I'm missing.....guitar tones are a mix of amplitube 3 and Bias fx.

Robus....you really think so? I just don't hear that at all....and I've listened to it on basic computer speakers, the car and the studio monitors.
Thanks for listening.

Something's a bit pitchy at 1.30, I think. Maybe at 2.32 as well. It's the harmony vocal.

I have to say I hate the genre with a passion - BUT - I thought the bottom end and the bass guitar settled rather nicely. I'd have to agree with the comments join the vocals getting lost - but that's it.

Sounds good to me, great guitar sound! The bass fits nicely I think, I listened on cheapie headphones (they tend to emphasize bass) and it sounded good. Sounded good on monitors too so I think you got the balance right.

I think the mix is really good. Good guitar tone and the instruments are all blending very well.

Vocals are just a small bit back in the mix.

I'm hearing some swirliness in the cymbals in spots. I'm guessing that's SoundCloud butchering them. It does that a lot.

It's a bit heavy on the 80's style reverb. Make sure that's what you want. Otherwise you'll have... well... an 80's sounding mix.

Ok, well thank guys for listening. I appreciate the feedback. I will repost soon with the vocals putting them up a bit, and check for the OH for swirlly frequency. I didn't check that before....and the pitch on vocal (dobro).

I really like the song. Reminds me a little Queensryche vocal wise. I think the song is well composed and well written all the way through. Guitars sound nice, vocals sound great(although could come up a touch). On my my system bass sounds real good mixed with the guitars....you may have to experiment with some of the upper notes with EQ to see if you can bring those out a little more, they do seem to lose volume.

Great job.

Semi-agree with the Queensryche (low end of Geoff Tate: certainly don't hear Queen Of The Ryche going on there:)), but also a bit of Bruce Dickenson's out of control on the high notes at the ends of the choruses.

I still get a smile every time the break hits and "no, baby, you're not fat" comes to the foreground...

Last edited:
Semi-agree with the Queensryche (low end of Geoff Tate: certainly don't hear Queen Of The Ryche going on there:)), but also a bit of Bruce Dickenson's out of control on the high notes at the ends of the choruses.

I still get a smile every time the break hits and "no, baby, you're not fat" comes to the foreground...

LMAO, I know it was so funny when I had people recording those lines on to my cell phone. We had quite a laugh about it.

Btw the pitchy chorus endings are "fixed". I didn't want to go back and rerecord just that. I had to sing for a week straight to get my voice in shape so I could sing that high.

Didn't mean it was a problem :) I like the way Bruce sings just a bit out of control. Slide a few in, vary a few pitches. Shows he's human...sounds like you are too. :laughings:

Great guitar sounds. Singer sounds awesome. Bass sounds good here. The only thing that really bothered me were the toms. Very boxy. It's a nit pick thing, as overall the mix was very good. You may want to try to cut between 400-500hz on the toms. Good job!

Great guitar sounds. Singer sounds awesome. Bass sounds good here. The only thing that really bothered me were the toms. Very boxy. It's a nit pick thing, as overall the mix was very good. You may want to try to cut between 400-500hz on the toms. Good job!

Thanks Jeff. I appreciate that, especially, the singer sounds awesome part. It does wonders for my confidence. Much appreciated!!!

Back