licensed Floyd Rose noise

mharr552000

I don't have a guitar with a tremelo bridge. I have a friend who does. He doesn't play the guitar. It's more of a decoration(it's a 1999 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock). I asked him if I could borrow his guitar so I could record some whammy bar stuff. Since he's not going to miss it, I've got it for however long I need it!
It was seriously fucked up. The fret board was caked with crusty sweat, skin and whatever funk got stuck on it by people walking in to his office, picking it up and playing with it. The strings which were flaking rust, were literally laying on the fret board. The bridge was at about a 30 degree angle from the body. And the intonation was gone. So, I get some new strings on it and get it all set up properly and it plays great.
Now for my problem. The bar rattles like a son of a bitch. I tighten it down and it stays that way for 5 seconds, then it rattles again. The bar won't be on the guitar unless the part being played requires it, but I'm afraid it will become an issue as some of the passages require long sustained notes and feedback being dragged around with the bar.
I was thinking about some plummers tape or silicon sealant on the threads so it won't be metal on metal.
Any ideas?

mharr552000 said:
I don't have a guitar with a tremelo bridge. I have a friend who does. He doesn't play the guitar. It's more of a decoration(it's a 1999 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock). I asked him if I could borrow his guitar so I could record some whammy bar stuff. Since he's not going to miss it, I've got it for however long I need it!
It was seriously fucked up. The fret board was caked with crusty sweat, skin and whatever funk got stuck on it by people walking in to his office, picking it up and playing with it. The strings which were flaking rust, were literally laying on the fret board. The bridge was at about a 30 degree angle from the body. And the intonation was gone. So, I get some new strings on it and get it all set up properly and it plays great.
Now for my problem. The bar rattles like a son of a bitch. I tighten it down and it stays that way for 5 seconds, then it rattles again. The bar won't be on the guitar unless the part being played requires it, but I'm afraid it will become an issue as some of the passages require long sustained notes and feedback being dragged around with the bar.
I was thinking about some plummers tape or silicon sealant on the threads so it won't be metal on metal.
Any ideas?

Teflon tape (is that the plumber's tape you mention) is a good idea, I believe. Silicone on his guitar may really piss off your bud, especially if any gets on the finish.

Back