LG Diaphram Condensors & A/C Hum

MOFO Pro

Opinions are like SM-57s
I live in the shadow of some 38,000 volt primary power transportation trucks. Needless to I've had my share of problems with EMI. (Even with high gain/low noise hum bucking pickups I've got to aim my telecaster straight at the power lines to even get the hum level below what a noise gate can manage- and it still sounds like crap, but that's a bit off the subject).

Will the mike body/capsule/circuitry pick up radiated electo-magnetic interference or is most of this occuring in the cable run. Because both of the mikes need phantom power its difficult to determine the source. If I unplug the mic there's no hum on the open cable but there's also no signal on it from the mic. I'm running an AT-4047 SV and a CAD C400S into a Tascam TM-D1000. There's no hum on the mixer.

I really don't want to spend 100 bucks for good sheilded cables if there's not a good shot of quieting them down.

Just thought I'd drag this up from the the bowels of the microphone forum and see whether anyone wants to give it a stab this time around.

Oh... they're power trunks, not trucks.

Another note. If I turn the phantom power off, both mikes hum louder, the CAD more so...

You could try something like a Faraday cage. Basicly a big cage built out of chicken wire that's grounded. A friend of mine has a TV broadcast tower damn near in his back yard and had simalar problems and this helped.

Back