Lexicon Omega Home Recording Studio

jeffchastain

Holier than thou
Price seems too good to be true at just under 200 bucks for the whole bundle. Anyone have any experience with this system?

i use a lexicon lambda and have for the last three years.

it was a good interface to learn on, and will introduce you to some of the basics of real recording. lexicon includes there world famous reverb plugin (pantheon) which i have used many times.

if you dont know, the reverb plugin is particularly helpful when you have really DRY tracks (like recorded in a vocal booth, or treated room) because it then allows you to basically create a "fake room" that has the amount of reverb that you want it too, and you can change the size, the echo, the delay everything of that room by a simple slider.
it sounds complicated but its really a great thing when you learn how to use it.

after a few years i treated my studio acoustically, and the lexicon lambda records tracks almost and i do mean ALMOST crystally clear, its only a few steps off a "pro" sound. But thats also with my practice on the unit for the last 3 years. so i have somewhat developed my sound when using them.

i can only comment on the lexicon lambda because thats what i use, but...

basically, i would say, lexicon has...

-good quality preamps for a lowbudget device, im sure there the same on the omega
-good device to start on
-CAN sound great and make great recordings with practice, and hard work
-well built, long lasting, sound-satisfying

but the bad thing is...

-in 1-5 years, if your still recording and looking to continue improving your recordings, you are most likely going to have to update your gear, as a lexicon is only going to take you so far.

of course theres many other really good things, and some other bad things and limits of the unit itself.

but i cant complain, people have always enjoyed my tracks and said "wow.. it NEARLY sounds pro!!!" some even say it does sound pro, and thats always nice. i would call it a "high quality demo" sound.

you should buy it if its going to suit your needs to record.

if all you need is to do a vocal track, or a guitar track at a time. this unit will work great, and will sound better and better as you learn how to use it.

Price seems too good to be true at just under 200 bucks for the whole bundle. Anyone have any experience with this system?
It's a pretty cool little interface. It will stream 4 tracks at the same time and offers 6 inputs. Pretty nice for the dollar. Cons: Very spotty technical support. There's a glaring design flaw that is almost always fatal unless corrected. There is a ribbon cable that comes in contact with the ouptut ic, which curiously, doesnt have a heat sink. The ribbon either melts when it comes in contact or the heat travels down the ribbon and distorts the board it connects to. Move the ribbon and, bingo, no more problem. This defect is responsible for alot of the anuguish and poor reviews it gets.
It is a USB 1.1 interface, but that shouldnt be an issue with only 4 tracks moving at one time. A very complementary piece of gear to this is the Behringer BCF 2000. http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...ontrol-Fader?sku=701763&src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

Pair these and you've got 6x4 interface with an 8 channnel motorized control surface for under $400. Hell of a deal.:cool:

It's a pretty cool little interface. It will stream 4 tracks at the same time and offers 6 inputs. Pretty nice for the dollar. Cons: Very spotty technical support. There's a glaring design flaw that is almost always fatal unless corrected. There is a ribbon cable that comes in contact with the ouptut ic, which curiously, doesnt have a heat sink. The ribbon either melts when it comes in contact or the heat travels down the ribbon and distorts the board it connects to. Move the ribbon and, bingo, no more problem. This defect is responsible for alot of the anuguish and poor reviews it gets.
It is a USB 1.1 interface, but that shouldnt be an issue with only 4 tracks moving at one time. A very complementary piece of gear to this is the Behringer BCF 2000. http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...ontrol-Fader?sku=701763&src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

Pair these and you've got 6x4 interface with an 8 channnel motorized control surface for under $400. Hell of a deal.:cool:

The design flaw TeyshaBlue illuminated is true. I'm on my second Omega.
If you correct that (I used gaffers tape) you will have a good 1.1 USB interface.
My only input is this, the preamps on this unit are the best I have ever used on a device in this price range. They are superb.

I worked on one when they came out. It's a remarkable value. The reverb is excellent, it has inserts after the DBX mic pres (which aren't bad at all), and comes with Cubase.
http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.ht...ln=1&_nkw=lexicon+omega&LH_Complete=1&guest=1
You could get two and have 8 inputs (or is it 12?) with 4 mic pres for $150 used if you were lucky. That's nuts.
The Lexicon Alpha is a great value too.
The Delta 1010LT is probably even a bigger value (I've seen them for $80 and you get 10 in 10 out if you count S/PDIF) but the Lexicon is a cheap product from an expensive company whereas the Delta is a cheap product from a cheap company if you know what I mean.
Both are great values.

The only thing I wasn't crazy about with the Lexicon was the monitoring mix knob to me was an odd arrangement. The Delta has a great monitoring/patchbay program that works really well.

Last edited:
Back