Lexicon MX300 Stereo Reverb Effects Processor?

negative

All configuration turn up a considerable whine / hum effect in the background compared to the dynamic mic on its own which is utterly silent - and through the mixer; this reverb unit is incompatible with my set-up. I can bypass the mixer - & lose the whine/hum - but then I am reduced to boosting volume on the interface which introduces hiss, unacceptable. What are my options? Send it back as incompatible, it doesn't work properly for my microphone. I did not purchase this unit as a usb plug-in, I am quite content with my usb interface. I am astonished that this reverb unit cannot properly hook up with a good mixer without giving less than excellent results, I am amazed; have now spent two solid days putting the Lexicon through every conceivable configuration of set-ups for a solo, mono mic, with poor results.

Thanks Mark,

The interface has one XLR socket for mic and one 1/4" line-in for instruments. I ran a single lead from the L STEREO OUT from the mixer to the interface, a mono lead gave interference, a stereo lead didn't - am running a 'silent test' now so I can compare the solo dynamic mic to the mic through Lexicon/mixer for background noise.

I too had wondered about the Lexicon usb connectivity but how could I run a usb interface (for instruments) and a usb sound processor unit (for mic) at one and the same time please - plus sync them both with the DAW recording software?
As far as your computer utilizing 2 usb ports at the same time within your DAW, it might be the same as having a keyboard coming in using midi over USB. My limited understanding is that your DAW can only recognize one interface for audio ins/outs but if it's anything else (such as midi keyboard), you should be able to use both at the same time, through 2 separate USB ports, without issue. :confused:

Hopefully someone else can follow this up with more info to clarify that for both of us...

holy grail

kr236rk...

While it's not designed to work this way, do you have enough XLR cables to connect the mic to left XLR input of the MX300, XLR left output of the MX300 connected to the XLR mic input of your interface. Kinda wondering if you get the whine setup like this.

Thanks, tried that - just get whine + hum. Had to go out earlier in the day, then had a brain wave: using the SEND hooked up Holy Grail & it lives up to its name - got mic reverb & zero background interference

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b630/r_i_c_2012/HG%20set-up_zpsopafgvca.jpg

Thanks, the hum appeared using the final XLR wiring set-up, the jacks gave the whine, but listening back to the whine there is a lot of other stuff going on in the background compared to the straight mic / through the mixer. The cables are all fine and everything else because I've been using the current DAW set-up for over 2 years now. It seems the problem lies in having separate L/R outs from the Lexicon - I don't need this for a mono mic - and there is no especial provision on the MX300 for mic / mono mic. I find that surprising when you think how many vocals are enhanced by reverb / 'echo chamber' effects. Yes, anything fancy like ping pong will already be in the pc software I use, I need a slight reverb only to enhance the vocals and I can get that now by adding the Holy Grail in as a send effect. Am returning the Lexicon because it is incompatible with my pc interface. I had a mixer with efx on board, one of which was reverb - it worked fine, no hiss, hum or whine - but the efx were routed to all channels, sadly, so again I couldn't use it. A mixer with efx you can dedicate to single channels would still be a great thing to have, but my straight analogue mixer is fine anyway, I'll stick with it - especially now I have finally, and with the help of this forum, at last got some sense out of the send technique - it has saved the day at the moment! :)

Thanks again.

Back